• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Range/Oven F2:E1 Error, Ignitor problems

twinter20

Premium Member
Hi, I have a KitchenAid Superba range/stovetop/oven model KGST307HBS9 serial IMM4371948, im not sure of the year it was manufactured. It has 2 problems.

(1)The two rear burners work fine but the front L and R hand burners have gas flowing through them when you turn the knobs but the tiny ignitors do not click or make a spark.

(2)The oven display keeps showing error code F2:E1. Once the code shows up the controls completely lock and the oven shuts off, the cancel button does nothing as well. It seems to come and go randomly. Sometimes it will show up 25-40 min after I start cooking something, sometimes it will show up when I close a nearby cupboard door or tap a spatula forcefully against the top of a saucepan. Often I would come back hours after the error code showed up and press cancel and then it would work instead of doing nothing and go back to showing the time, at this point i could use the controls and cook again. Except it would come up again either immediately or 25-40 min after I start cooking.

This code is not listed in any of the error code lists I have seen.

I disconnected the power, pulled out the oven, and removed the back panel, no connections seem to be loose. I have no previous experience with electronics or repair, but it seems from the way the error code comes and goes that there is a connection that is loose.

I looked at the cables though and I didnt even know where to start or what to look at. I would appreciate any advice you could give me on how to fix the problem, it has made cooking next to impossible for me, and I want to avoid calling a repairman to come out and charge me alot of money just to fix a small problem if i can avoid it. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
These ranges are very technical and the electronic parts for these models are very high, so even if you don't call a repair tech. out, you may end up spending a couple hundred on a new Control board 9782435, etc.

Fixing a small problem would be great, but locating it could be a nightmare.

I had of these models a couple years ago have a shorted wire that was grounding out, causing the control board to blow out. I would first check in the back of your range, behind your back access panel, check all the wiring to see if any wiring is burned or shorted to your metal cabinet.

Jake

twinter20

Premium Member
Tech coming soon

Thanks for the quick response Jake. From when I pulled it out and looked at the wiring in the back before, it didn't look like any of the wires had burned out or were worn. I ended up calling KitchenAid help at their 800 number. The call rep said that the error code meant that the control board was malfunctioning, which was already obvious, and that the problem was solely with the control board/keypad. From the model and serial #s she said that the unit was est. to be bought in 02'. Luckily, this also means that a new control panel is covered under the limited warranty and I will only have to pay for the labor and diagnosis fee. A tech is coming out in two days and hopefully it will finally clear up the problem. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted on the outcome.:)

We have a special program here, all parts you order from our links we post are returnable within 365 days for a FULL refund(minus shipping back) if they don't fix the problem or for any other reason at all.:)

Jake