• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator K9TREFFWMS01 strange clicks

Newby

Model Number
K9TREFFWMS01
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi, I just moved to a new city to do one year of school and bought myself a used refrigerator. It is cooling the food, the freezer is cold (I do not have a thermometer, but the food is well frozen inside). However, the way it behaves is different from what I am used to, so was wondering if this was normal or a bad sign.

The compressor would run for some time, then I guess as the right temperature is reached, it shuts off. Then in about a minute or two I hear the freezer fan start running. I open it and put my hand close to the vents and yes, I can feel cold air coming in.

And this is while the compressor is NOT running, at least I do not hear it running, Then I hear a click, and it shuts off. Again after another minute or so I hear another click, and this time the compressor kicks in, and the fridge starts cooling again. Then shuts off after several minutes, and it may be 20-30 minutes before the compressor starts running again.

But after another cooling cycle it shuts off and may repeat the fan-click-click-compressor thing again. Quite erratic. Like I said, it is cooling and freezing fine, I even had to adjust the temperature control in the fridge compartment because my veggies seemed frozen in the bottom, had to raise it a bit.

But I am renting a bachelor's apt. here, and I can hear those clicks at night, becomes annoying. And I have not been able to pinpoint where those clicks are coming from. So wondering if such behavior is normal for this model, or something is wrong with this fridge. Thanks in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, if you can pinpoint the clicks, that would help us a lot to determine the problem.

You have a defrost board in the temperature control console that has relay's in it that can click.

Or is the clicking coming from the back of the refrigerator where the compressor is located?

Jake