• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KBFC42FTS02 Ice plug forming between freezer and fridge compartments, have to melt it every month

dimbmw

Premium Member
Model Number
KBFC42FTS02
Brand
KitchenAid
Guys, my life is miserable with my kitchenaid KBFC42FTS02.

About every month the ice plug is forming in the vent hole between compartments and I have to disassemble the damned thing, and melt it with hair dryer. It is just insane amount of work every time.

I've checked everything I could. Rubber door gaskets are OK (new). Defrost is working, heater is working (i can force it on manually and see it becoming red). So everything is fine... except that this stupid ice plug appears over and over again. Fan is OK. Drain tube in the bottom is not clogged.

I understand its humid in Florida here, but I can't believe the design of this model is so bad!

I am attaching my photos of this bloody ice hole before and after my melting it with the hair dryer.

Maybe someone has encountered anything like it before? Thank you !!!!!!

Attachments

• fr3.jpg
    fr3.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 39
  • fr2.jpg
    fr2.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 38
  • fr1.jpg
    fr1.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 36

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Total 100% shooting from the hip GUESS!
Air leak of some sort. Check any place on the cabinet where wires or piping enter. Screw holes. Re-check doors and door gaskets. No teens standing there with the door(s) open 20 minutes deciding what they want to eat (ours where bad for this!).

jeff sr.

dimbmw

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff.... I am barking on kids that the fridge is not a freaking museum to stare into it for too long.... seriously, this thing thinned my nerves :)

I've replaced all the door gaskets (expensive!!!), but it did not help.

I am thinking - why didn't they extend that heating element into that hole? I mean it would just melt the stupid ice plug on any defrost cycle and that's it.... Maybe i just need to buy some copper rod, attach it to heater and feed it into the hole ? Hopefully it won't trigger fire? I want to do this mod every time I disassemble this thing (every month)....

tommister

Premium Member
Not an OEM solution, but after ruling out the leak locations as Jeff suggested, I would be tempted to apply tape over the vent hole. I am guessing it is there to equalize air pressure inside and out when the door opens and closes. See how hard it is to open and close and if it is, put a smaller hole in the tape? If vapour and/or bulk air is moving in and freezing, that is annoying and energy robbing!

dimbmw

Premium Member
Not an OEM solution, but after ruling out the leak locations as Jeff suggested, I would be tempted to apply tape over the vent hole. I am guessing it is there to equalize air pressure inside and out when the door opens and closes. See how hard it is to open and close and if it is, put a smaller hole in the tape? If vapour and/or bulk air is moving in and freezing, that is annoying and energy robbing!

Nope, this vent is one of the two vents that is for cold air circulation from freezer to fridge compartment. When this vent is plugged, the fridge compartment is not getting any cold.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.