• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid refrigerator KBFS25EVMS3 water dispenser leaking

msnati

Premium Member
Model Number
KBFS25EVMS3
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello!

The internal water dispenser in my KitchenAid refrigerator (KBFS25EVMS3) has started dripping persistently. I have replaced the water filter with the same exact same brand/filter (new), flushed the system with about 4-5gallons, yet it continues to leak. To stop the leaking, I had to remove the filter altogether. With/without the filter inside, the ice maker in the bottom freezer continues to make ice, but of course we cannot get water from the inside.

I've never experienced this issue before, it just happened unexpectedly. All and any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, when I have items stored at the back of the refrigerator (on any level or shelf), it ends up frozen. Any reason what would cause that to happen? I have been experiencing that for years with this fridge.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

When you bought this refrigerator brand new it should of come with a water filter by-pass plug, do you have it? It will be blue in color. If so, put that by-pass plug in and see if it still leaks.

It sounds like possibly the water inlet valve is leaking when your water filter is in place.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
WP12544124 Valve

Jake

msnati

Premium Member
Hi Jake, thanks for your reply! I did have the plug at one point but I'm not sure if I still have it.
It was doing a moderately consistent leak prior to me changing to the new filter. I replaced the filter because it was due, and also because I thought it was the cause of the leak, although I've never had this issue before when the filter needed to be changed. But now, it's leaking as long as a filter is there.
I will try to locate the by-pass plug. In the meantime, I should look at replacing the water valve or the filter head?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I should look at replacing the water valve or the filter head?
If its leaking at the water spigot, then you will need to replace the water inlet valve.

If its leaking at the water filter head, then you will need a new water filter head assembly.

Here's the water filter head assembly for your model:

Yes, keep us posted.:)

Jake