• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KBLS36FKX00 Service light on - Freezer cold, Fridge at 40 degrees

dosborne

Premium Member
Model Number
KBLS36FKX00
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello, appreciate any help..
Issue: Service light & alarm just started. Bottom freezer seems to be keeping cold just fine, but refrigerator is only cooling to ~40 degrees. "Suction" pressure on both the refrigerator door & freezer doors seems to be very diminished.

I ran the service diagnostics mode and received the following:
1 FC thermistor = 1 (pass)
2 RC thermistor = 1 (pass)
3 Evaporator fan motor = 2 (Fan Motor On / Improper Speed)
4 Condensor fan motor = 1 (runs)
5 Compressor = 2 (doesn't seem to spin up but freezer is 0 degrees)
6 Air baffle motor = 1 (sounds like working)
7 Defrost heater/Bi-metal = 1 (Defrost Heater Energized / Bi-Metal Closed)

Seems to me the Evaporator fan is not pushing cold air from freezer up to refrigerator compartment sufficiently? Thinking replacing the Evaporator Fan would resolve?? Thoughts/suggestions before just ordering parts & swapping?
Still need to empty freezer & remove back panel to make sure not frozen with ice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it sounds like the freezer evaporator fan motor is the culprit. You can use a multimeter to test voltage to the evaporator(freezer) fan motor, at the electrical connector that plugs into it.

You'll need to remove everything from the freezer and remove the shelves too, then remove the back access panel inside the freezer and you will see your evaporator fan motor above your evaporator coil. Remove the electrical connector that goes to it, then put one meter probe in each of the connector holes and see what you meter says.

It should be about 12 volts DC.

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model:
8201589 Freezer Fan Motor Assembly

The evaporator fan motor is variable speed per your temperatures.

Max is 3000 rpm
Min is 2000 rpm

But the evaporator fan motor should be running while the compressor is running, either at 2000 rpm or 3000 rpm, it should NOT be stopped or struggling while the compressor is running.:)

Jake

dosborne

Premium Member
Thank you Jake for the response! Update: Yesterday I completely emptied the refrigerator & freezer & found some ice build up in the back left side of the refrigerator & build up in the ventilation holes between the freezer & refrigerator. After thawing & removing this, the alarm has not come back & the evaporator fan is now passing the test. Attached is a picture of the coils & evaporator fan - there was ice build up, but seemed the fan spun freely. I'll continue to watch it to see if it returns. When I re-tested, everything passed (except #5 Compressor test) & during the Defrost heater/Bi-metal test, I did confirm it was getting hot.
I still could not get test 5 Compressor to either pass or sound like it was spinning up which is odd - but the freezer & refrigerator are both working correctly now.

I'm attributing the build up of ice in both the refrigerator & freezer to possibly the freezer door not being fully closed at some point - anything else I should keep an eye on with regards to ice build up in back of refrigerator?

Thank you again,
Darin

1659545822329.png

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very interesting Darin, just keep your eye on it for awhile.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.