• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kitchenaid Refrigerator KBSD612ESS00 Screen, Ice & Water Dispenser Stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

davenlei

Premium Member
Model Number
KBSD612ESS00
Brand
KitchenAid
My built in side by side Kitchenaid fridge suddenly stopped dispensing ice and water and the dispenser screen on the freezer door exterior is blank. The dispensers do not actuate or make any noise now so it is completely dead. Also the dispenser light does not work.
I did pull power from the unit for ten minutes and plug back in but that did not do anything.
The fridge and freezer continue to work to keep things cold and the interior lights work and the main control screen for temp, etc. work.
I do see the icemaker still turns at intervals thinking it is making ice but no water is filling the tray anymore. I heard the water filler for the ice tray click on then off right away at least once.

Any idea what it is? Is it the dispenser controller board? If so, can you confirm? Also how do you get to that board to replace it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Here's the parts diagram for your model:

Here's the Dispenser Control board for your model, if needed: WP2321746

This is a model I haven't worked on or had training on before. Hopefully another tech. that is familiar with this model can assist you.

But with everything on the dispenser that stopped working all at once, that makes me think its possibly a loose or broken wire harness going into the freezer door, I'd check that first.

Some models have the wire harness going up into the freezer door from the bottom hinge, some wire harness connectors are on the top going down into the door under the top freezer door hinge cover.

Jake

davenlei

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

The wiring does come through the bottom using a type of sliding tube hinge separate from the hinge but slides when the door is opened. I opened the panel underneath and checked all the connections which were good. In general is it wash to remove the front or inside panel of the door to get to the dispenser control board to inspect the capacitors for bulges, etc. or replace the board as a next step?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
In general is it wash to remove the front or inside panel of the door to get to the dispenser control board to inspect the capacitors for bulges, etc. or replace the board as a next step?
What does wash to remove mean? Or Watch to remove?

I couldn't locate the service manual that shows you how to remove it, but there is usually clips you release from underneath the dispenser board to remove it, but like I said I have not worked on this model as of yet to know that for certain.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, I located another thread similar to yours here:

The part that was causing it is #38 here:

Which is the same as his: WP2318054

Jake

davenlei

Premium Member
That must have been some crazy autocorrect. Sorry about that. Basically when taking a door apart to get into the internals, do the doors get opened (shell of door) by removing the interior door panel (inside the fridge part) or the external panel (the front face of the door).

davenlei

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I read through the thread and for him it looks like he still have some functionality or intermittent functionality. My screen and functionality for the water and ice dispenser is completely dead (no activity at all and no power it seems) and has never come back. I did open the panel under the fridge and accessed the connectors for the door wires and all look good and normal. I wiggled all the wires and gave some flex to the connectors just in case the connection was not good but nothing ever flickered or came back.

I am wondering if it is the controller board which you identified (WP2318054) or if it is the Dispenser Control board (WP2321746)

davenlei

Premium Member
An additional thing I noticed are the ice cubes produced now are smaller than normal

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can look for your tech. data sheet in your unit to check the voltages to tell which board is the culprit. On your model the data sheet should be up on top of the refrigerator where the compressor and that upper control board is located.

An additional thing I noticed are the ice cubes produced now are smaller than normal
When is the last time you replaced your water filter? If it has been a long time, that will also cause this problem you are having.

Here's the water filter for your model:
whirlpool-filter3-single-edr3rxd1-ap5983563_01_m.jpg

Jake

davenlei

Premium Member
Ok I will check the data sheet and check voltages. I changed the filter about a month ago. so I know it is still good.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good.

Jake

davenlei

Premium Member
I pulled off the front facia of the freezer door and pulled the dispenser control board out. I checked the voltage supplied to the board and it is 12V so I would expect the screen or board to power the screen or night light LED if there was not a failure at the board. All the capacitors on the board looked good (only 2) and the tops were not bulging. I did not see anything that looked burned or shorted but the clear coating they applied to the board to protect against splashing water was done pretty crappy and did not seem like it covered the whole board so maybe it got a splash from the water dispenser and shorted out.
I checked all the wiring and connectors and they all looked good. At this point I am assuming that dispenser control board may be bad and have ordered a replacement. If that does not do it then I will look at replacing the other board you referenced in this thread.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Jake

davenlei

Premium Member
Ok, problem solved. Received the dispenser control board installed it. Ice and water dispenses, lights work, screen and dispenser controls function. All is well....
Decided to buy used because a new board is very expensive right now due to stock issues.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.