• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KFIS29BBMS03 - Freezer only cools to 17F, No Ice

JCohen8008

Premium Member
Model Number
KFIS29BBMS03
Brand
KitchenAid
KFIS29BBMS03 KitchenAid Refrigerator
I'm losing sleep over this one and would appreciate some help. I see lots of posts out there where the Freezer is cold and the refrigerator is too warm but I have the opposite problem. My Freezer is measuring about 17 degrees and my refrigerator is 38 degrees. (Settings are Fridge 38F/ Freezer 0F). My ice maker stopped producing ice (intermittent problem over the years) and recently I started hearing a loud noise inside the refrigerator.

Took about the interior of the refrigerator and the evaporator was completely frozen up. I thawed everything but the temperatures are still the same in both the fridge and freezer but it runs much quieter now. The thermistor seems to measure okay...3.3kohm at room temp. Evap fan was running but the damper seemed stuck closed and rusty. I ordered a new one of these and wiring harness to just replace the evap sensor elements anyway.

I'm waiting on the parts but I'm starting to doubt it will fix this issue. If it helps any I used to have an issue with the Freezer icing up. Switching the defrost to basic from ADC fixed this problem but perhaps there is a larger issue? Coils are clean enough to eat off of and I've checked the impedance on the compressor which appears within spec at 7 ohms across both terminals.

All diagnostic tests seem to check out except for Service Test 56, Ice Maker Error Code which outputs E1: No Cooling.

Thank you in advance.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Your refrigerator has two evaporators so basically two cooling systems, one for the fresh food section and one for the freezer. The thread title says Freezer won't go below 17° but your post is describing a problem in the fresh food section. You might have more than one problem. Make sure the evaporator fans are working. If the evap fan is working in the freezer section, leave the machine plugged in and running, remove the evap cover, and check the frost pattern on the evaporator coils. There should be an even coat of very light frost on all the coils from top to bottom. No ice or snow. Take a pic and post it here.

JCohen8008

Premium Member
Hi Rick,
Much appreciated for your reply and good timing. I received the new damper and wiring harness for the refrigerator that includes the temp sensor and thermistor yesterday. The damper was certainly not functioning and now works great. The wiring harness was more precautionary than anything. The poster I'm posting below I let it run for a while and am posting a picture below. I then checked the Freezer evaporator which admittedly I hadn't taken apart yet in this round of fun as I was able to hear the fan running previously. I was a bit surprised to see a block of ice in the upper right corner, picture below. I thawed it and put it all back together. This morning the temperatures were higher than ever, 40F in the fridge and 25F in the Freezer. :(

Attachments

• IMG_3133.jpg
    IMG_3133.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3132.jpg
    IMG_3132.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 59

rickgburton

Staff member
The picture tells the story. You have a sealed system issue. Looks like it could be a system restriction or refrigerant leak. Sealed system repairs are expensive and will often exceed the machines value.

JCohen8008

Premium Member
Hi Rick,
Thank you for your help in diagnosing it. Is the leak causing the block of ice in the upper corner or did you see something else?
Thank you,
John

rickgburton

Staff member
Is the leak causing the block of ice in the upper corner
Correct, the evaporator is starving. The ice block is from the refrigerant entering the evaporator in such a small amount, that's the only place it's boiling. (refrigerant boils when it reaches the low pressure system in the evaporator and that's what makes it cold)