• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KFIS29BBMS03 Ice Maker Not Working

wong21fr

Premium Member
Model Number
KFIS29BBMS03
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello,

So I am having a ton of drama with my KitchenAid French Door Refrigerator (model KFIS29BBMS03) Ice Maker that's driving me nuts at this point.

About six months ago the ice maker failed (2 months after the warranty lapsed of course). Had a service tech come out and paid way too much to have a new ice maker installed that is now 3 months old- which worked fine for two months. About a month ago, the ice maker stopped working again and the tech came out again and diagnosed the issue as being the foam gasket at the back of the ice maker casing. This diagnosis was due to the amount frost/ice buildup that was occurring around that gasket and also the rubber gasket that seals the door ice bin. This foam gasket was replaced which did not fix the issue. The ice maker worked properly for about 12 hours and then stopped working again. It was then replaced a second time and still no ice after roughly 12 hours of operation. So fed up with escalating service calls, the next step in their process is to start looking at control boards, I decided to do my own diagnosis.

Ran the following diagnostic tests with these results:

- 56: no errors on ice maker
- 57: ice maker harvest completed successfully
- 45: ice maker did not fill
- 19: fascia and ice maker fill tube heaters toggle on and off

There was some frozen water in the fill tube and after removing the ice maker and flushing the line I inserted it back in and reran test 45 and the ice maker did fill. I checked the wiring coupling that goes to the facia and ice maker fill tube heater and measured 0.2 volts. The other observation that I have is that occasionally the water dispenser will not turn on until I have locked the UI panel and unlocked it at which time water will dispense.

I'm going to check the bin in a few hours and see how much ice is in there, but I'm expecting that it will stop producing ice in about 8-12 hours as that is what has been occurring. I'm open to any and all suggestions because I am stumped.

wong21fr

Premium Member
So I checked it and it stopped producing ice after 4 hours. Ice mold tray is empty and running test 45 results in no water being injected into the tray.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I checked the wiring coupling that goes to the facia and ice maker fill tube heater and measured 0.2 volts.
Ok, the problem seems in your Ice Maker Fill Tube and Fascia heater. I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Service Test - 19: Ice Maker Fill Tube and Fascia Heater Status
--->Control the ice maker fill tube heater and fascia heater by selecting SW3 (toggle between on and off) (01 = on, 02 = off)

On your main control board, in the back of the refrigerator, check the voltage between P2-6 and P1-2 which activates the Fill tube /fascia heater output. Service Test 19. 01 = 115 V. 02 = 0 V.

You should be getting 115 volts when its 01 = on

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10727531 - Rev A.pdf
    951.8 KB · Views: 27

wong21fr

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

It took me a moment to get a chance to do the circuit board test. Got a voltage reading of zero between P2-6 and P1-2. Look like the board is bad.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

wong21fr

Premium Member
Thanks! I’ll order it. To program the board is there a tutorial available for my model? I haven’t found one online yet.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, this board should be plug and play.

If it needs to be programmed it will come with the programming instructions.:)

Jake