• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KFIS29PBMS01 - freezer is warm, but fridge side is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

max57

HI Jake,
I ran all the thermistor DIAG's which includes Step 1 "the FC Themistor" and it returned a value of "01" = pass.
Like I said it could be that it passes but the DIAG doesn't measure if the Thermistor is accurate. I'm thinking that the FC thermistor is telling the CPU a warmer temp than it actually is.

Model is: KRSC503ESS007
Hi, I have an opposite issue with my kitchenaid fridge(KFIS29PBMS01. my freezer is warmer at 15F instead of 0F , and the fridge is fine, its always between 34-38F. I did measure both thermistors RC/FC once disconnected from P5 I get 7.2K/13.5K the actual temp is 37/18F at the time I measured, I then compared it to the W10316760 Thermistor chart and for 37/18F it should be 7.7K/13.4K , the fridge temp is off but the freezer thermistor is in range. I than ran all the thermistor DIAG's and it returned a value of "01" = pass. RC/FC Evaps fans are fine - I can hear them running when they are turned on via DIAG.
when FC is in defrost the temp shoot up to 28F , it hot here today(84F), I will get a pic of the FC evap coil when is has frost on it, I think it is normal , but you are the experts and should know what is normal.
thanks a million, it sure sound like we have similar problem , it maybe the 3 way valve after all.

Last edited:

max57

I too did something similar with respect to set point for the FC/RC is was 5F/38F I changed it to 0F/38F and I did notice that the freezer is gets a little colder to 13F now before it was 18F.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The freezer temp. should be a 0 degrees, let us know what it is in the morning.

If its not at 0 in the morning, then you'll need to take a photo of the freezer evaporator coil and upload it here, so we can see the frost pattern on it.

Jake

max57

attached is a pic of freezer frost ,this morning. current pressures are low@4PSI , High@120PSI

Attachments

• freezer_forst2.jpg
    freezer_forst2.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The evaporator coil looks like it has a even frost pattern.

Put the evaporator cover back in place and it 2 hours and see what the temperature reads.

Jake

max57

Got it. BTW, FC/RC temp without the cover are 12/38F. Also, current FC/RC set points are 5/38F.
I will report with temperatures after the cover is back for 2 hours.
Also, while placing the cover back on the freezer evap coil , I decide to put a UV light all around the freezer coil, capillary & tubes and noticed greenish color by the capillary tube, just as it enters the freezer and connects to the evap coil. Which indicate a leak, but I'm not sure if it is old or new leak. Couple years ago, when the fridge was at my EX home, Kitchenaid tech repair the fridge and must put dye in system.

Last edited:

max57

it has been 2 hours after I installed the cover on the freezer evap coil and the lowest temperature in the freezer was 8F and in the fridge 34F.
In regards to the possible leak I found. could it be the reason for the issue I'm having with the freezer. ?
right now the compressor is off and the pressure has equalized at 32PSI for both low/high.

max57

question, if there is a small Freon leak in the freezer evap cap tube, do you think it's a good idea to use refrigerant Leak sealer?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it sounds like you have a sealed system problem, because it should be down to 0 degrees.

if there is a small Freon leak in the freezer evap cap tube, do you think it's a good idea to use refrigerant Leak sealer?
No, you have to use a electronic leak detector to find the leak, then repair the leak.

We don't get into sealed system repairs here, so its best to get a KitchenAid tech to come out and fix it for you, they have the right equipment to do it.

Jake

max57

Hi , I'm trying to understand seal system issue , such as obstruction or a leak, shouldn't this effect the fridge in the same way it does the freezer, i.e not getting cold enough(now at 28F), the fridge is always fine at 38F ? and since this is a dual evap system is it possible that the obstruction is on the FC side of the 3way valve only, since the RC side of 3way valve is fine?

max57

I'm trying to give as much info so it could help diagnose the problem. so after turned off the fridge and I heard the compressor gurgling and the filter drier was sweating and cold to touch , the high/low pressures equalized right away(@30PSI , this indicate that there NO restriction in the 3way valve capillary or anywhere else , correct?
one more question I just purchased filter drier and I noticed that is the same diameter , and the same size (25g) but its a little longer than the original , can I still use it , or should I return it. please let me know. thanks

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You have a sealed system problem, we don't get into sealed system repairs here, sorry. You will need to locate another site for that Max.

I'm closing this thread.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.