• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KFIV29PCMS03 no cold air at all is going to the freezer section. Service Test 6

AlexP

Premium Member
Model Number
KFIV29PCMS03
Brand
KitchenAid
When I run the service test diagnostic number 6 get a 02 Error which indicates bimetal open. How can I determine if it's the defrost heater or the thermostat or the control board that's faulty and needs to be replaced? The fridge works fine but no cold air at all is going to the freezer section.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its not getting ANY cold air at all in the freezer section? Its like room temperature in there?

Pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the lower back access panel and put your hand on the compressor and see if its warm and vibrating, and see if the condenser fan motor next to it is running.

Jake

AlexP

Premium Member
The compressor goes on and off it goes up to maximum speed it goes down to minimum speed you can hear it going on and off and through its variable stages

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, this model has a 3-way valve.

Do Service Test 4.

Service Test - 4: Compressor/Condenser Fan Motor/ Evaporator Fan
--->There will be a delay of 3 seconds before start of Sub Step 01.
NOTE: Each step is timed and will automatically proceed to the next step.
User will not be allowed to exit step. If exit is attempted, an invalid chime will sound.

--->Control the sealed system loads by selecting SW3 (01 = initialize dual evaporator valve in home position (4 min.), 02 = close both RC and FC evaporator valves (1 min.), 03 = turn compressor on (1 min.), 04 = keep compressor on.
Drive the valve to RC position and turn RC fan on, 05 = keep compressor on. Drive the valve to FC position and turn FC fan on. Verify airflow from the evaporator fan.
NOTE: Advance quickly through Service Test 4 to keep from locking in. Once locked in, you cannot exit, and must wait approximately 10 minutes.

You are looking to see if this works--->Drive the valve to FC(freezer evaporator) position and turn FC fan on.

Here's the 3-way valve for your model:
Three way refrigerant valve

Jake

AlexP

Premium Member
Yup did that test and all stages passed with NO error codes. I have the back of the freezer off as we speak. I run test 5 and can hear the compressor going through it's paces. I have verified the evaporator fan on the fridge goes on and feel air flow and see the evaporator fan in the freezer turn on.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that means you have a sealed system problem, You will need a licensed refrigeration tech come out to see what has failed in the sealed system.

Jake

AlexP

Premium Member
So a sealed system problem would give me a bimetal open error? How does the error message relate to the sealed system?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the bi-metal is not frosty, then yes the bi-metal will be open.

And since your freezer is not cooling, that means your not getting any frost on your evaporator coil to make the bi-metal get frosty.:)

Its closes at 12 degrees fahrenheit and opens at 42 degrees fahrenheit.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Possibly, that's why I mentioned TEST 4.

Service Test - 4: Compressor/Condenser Fan Motor/ Evaporator Fan
--->There will be a delay of 3 seconds before start of Sub Step 01.
NOTE: Each step is timed and will automatically proceed to the next step.
User will not be allowed to exit step. If exit is attempted, an invalid chime will sound.

--->Control the sealed system loads by selecting SW3 (01 = initialize dual evaporator valve in home position (4 min.), 02 = close both RC and FC evaporator valves (1 min.), 03 = turn compressor on (1 min.), 04 = keep compressor on.
Drive the valve to RC position and turn RC fan on, 05 = keep compressor on. Drive the valve to FC position and turn FC fan on. Verify airflow from the evaporator fan.
NOTE: Advance quickly through Service Test 4 to keep from locking in. Once locked in, you cannot exit, and must wait approximately 10 minutes.

You are looking to see if this works--->Drive the valve to FC(freezer evaporator) position and turn FC fan on.

Keep your hand on the 3-way valve and see if it activates the valve to FC(freezer evaporator).

Jake

AlexP

Premium Member
Sorry I misspoke before regarding running test 5, I should have say test 4. When I ran test 4 as yourr suggesting above I do hear the compressor going on and off and I can verify and see the evaporator fan in the freezer running. Does the evaporator fan running in the freezer indicate I'm getting some cooling in the freezer evaporator coil or is there any way to test if I'm getting something in the freezer evaporator coil?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Alex I said this--->Keep your hand on the 3-way valve and see if it activates the valve to FC(freezer evaporator).

Jake

AlexP

Premium Member
Ran test number 4 then to subtest number 5. Substeps 1-4 I did not feel the valve move or hear it move. At step 5 I felt the valve move and I heard some noise that it moved position. The evaporator fan in the freezer was blowing. But the lines to the freezer evaporator did not feel cold and nothing running through them. Could it be the solenoid associated with this valve?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Could it be the solenoid associated with this valve?
Yes, but that is still associated in the sealed system, and only licensed techs can do sealed system repairs.

Jake

AlexP

Premium Member
So the technician came out to look at the fridge on Monday and put on the pressure gauges and it indicated that there's a leak on the system he's telling me it's internal to the fridge and cannot be repaired. It's a 6-year-old fridge what recourse if any do I have to go back to KitchenAid will they make good for a new fridge?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Whirlpool Owns KitchenAid.

I'd contact the Whirlpool Corporate office and let them know: http://www.whirlpoolcorp.com/contact/

Here is their corporate address:

Corporate Headquarters
Administrative Center
2000 North M-63
Benton Harbor, Michigan 49022
Phone: 269.923.5000

Ask for Marc Bitzer, he is the CEO, most of the time you may not reach him personally, but his secretary can take your call and information and the message will get to him and you should see good results.

These 2 members did with good results:
SF368LEPQ1 Auto-clean on gas range melted clock/control panel
KUDI01FL Dishwasher, not working, thermal fuse ok

Jake