• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kitchenaid refrigerator KFXS25RYMS5 - Icemaker issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitin1969

Premium Member
Model Number
KFXS25RYMS5
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a 5 year old Kitchenaid refrigerator Model: KFXS25RYMS5 and the icemaker started giving problem couple of months back. It started with less number of ice cubes and then started thinning out the size of ice and finally it stopped completely. I removed the icemaker and didn't find any trace of water in the icemaker which sounded water is not even reaching icemaker.

Then I looked at the inlet pipe which is connected to icemaker and there was no blockage or ice formation.

Can I understand that solenoid valve has gone bad due to which water is not coming to icemaker? Is there anyway I can test or trace issue to pin point exact problem so that I can order the part?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The problem is likely the ice maker itself, I've already replaced two of these same ice maker kits for the no water issue in Parker, Arizona, and it fixed them both, then I had one yesterday in Blythe, CA. and it fixed that one too for the NO WATER issue.:)

You have to replace the wiring that comes with it as well, the instructions tell you how to do it.

You can also Force cycle the ice maker and measure the voltage at the water valve solenoid at the end of the harvest cycle. If your meter indicates 120 VAC for about 7 seconds, replace the water valve. If your meter indicates less than 100 VAC replace the ice maker.

Just remove the electrical connector from the ice maker solenoid side of the water inlet valve, then put your meter probes in that electrical connector, then cycle the ice maker and watch the meter to see if you get 120 volts towards the end of the ice maker cycle.

This video shows you how to access the water inlet valve inside the refrigerator section:
The smaller water line tube goes to the ice maker. So the ice maker side solenoid is the YELLOW one, put your meter probes in the electrical connector that goes to the YELLOW solenoid.

I was only getting 48 volts to the ice maker side of the water inlet valve solenoid when I cycled the ice maker. I ordered this exact same ice maker kit FOR ALL THREE of my service calls and it fixed them all.:)

Here's the ice maker kit for your model you can order:
W10882923 Icemaker

Jake

nitin1969

Premium Member
Thanks for great response. Isn't there a possibility to pin point a defective part in icemaker then to replace it completely

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Access the ice maker power module and locate holes "T" and "H". Use a piece of insulated wire and short "T" and "H". This starts the harvest cycle.

Once the harvest cycle starts remove the wire. You'll probably need to hold the door switch during the harvest cycle.

(click to enlarge)
New style IM.jpg

Jake

nitin1969

Premium Member
Thanks Jake for all help and your guidance.. I replaced the ice maker and started working perfectly.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new ice maker fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.