• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Refrigerator KRFC604FSS00 - Ice Maker Stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavan87

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFC604FSS00
Brand
KitchenAid
The ice maker on the above refrigerator stopped working. The water dispenser works fine. I changed out the water filter to make sure that wasn't the issue.

I went into diagnostics mode and these were the relevant results:

Service Test - 14 Door Ice Box Thermistor - 62
Service Test - 16 Door Ice Maker Tray Thermistor - 62
Service Test - 31 Ice Box Average Temperature - 62
Service Test - 56 FC Fan Test - On and I can hear the fan
Service Test - 57 RC Fan Test - On and I can hear the fan
Service Test - 58 Condenser Fan Test - It says "On" but I cannot hear the fan
Service Test - 59 Ice Box Fan Test - It says "On" but I cannot hear the fan
Service Test - 97 Door Ice Maker Valve General Test - I can hear the water entering
Service test - 120 Door Ice Maker self diagnostics - Passed

The duct which supplies cold air to the ice maker is fairly warm. If I put ice in the ice bin, it begins to melt after a short while so its not staying at the proper temperature.

The refrigerator is set to 37 and ranges between 35 and 42, based on a standalone refrigerator thermometer I have. However, the freezer is set to 0 and measures closer to -10. Certain things in the freezer look like they have some freezer burn.

I'm thinking that the fan behind the freezer compartment has stopped working and isn't circulating cold air to the ice bin to keep ice frozen and is too warm to produce new ice. Does that sound right based upon the above diagnostics? Would this also explain why the freezer is staying much colder than what it is set to (air staying in the freezer compartment which would normally go to the ice box)?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I located another thread with this exact same issue and exact same ice box fan motor problem:

Here's the ice box fan for your model as well:

Let us know how it goes after you replace it.

Jake

pavan87

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake! I'm going to place an order for the fan now.

In looking at the freezer compartment, I'm not quite sure how to remove the drawers and rails. I looked for freezer compartment videos on YouTube for this model but could not find anything.

Do you have the service manual for this model which shows the steps on how to access the area where the fan is located? I believe the service manual also has links to videos of the various steps which would be very helpful.

Thanks so much for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iRRnn103aeGMfrJwdW0Qoazg6S6k2qho/view?usp=sharing

Page 3-8 where it says:
Evaporator Cover Assembly
1. Remove the freezer door.
2. Remove the top pan assembly.
3. Remove the bottom pan assembly.
4. Remove the bracket assembly.
5. Remove the freezer ice maker.
6. Remove the four corner screws on the evaporator cover.
7. Pull the evaporator cover assembly away from the back liner, disconnect the wiring connector, and remove.

Icebox Fan
1. Remove the evaporator cover assembly.
2. Disconnect the wiring connector.
3. Remove the two 1/4" screws and remove the icebox fan.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

pavan87

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. You would think the engineers could have come up with an easier method to access the icebox fan.

Luckily, replacing the icebox fan solved the ice maker issue. The old icebox fan had ice formed inside so I wonder if the ice prevented it from operating or if the ice formed because it was no longer operational.

Thanks for all of your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Luckily, replacing the icebox fan solved the ice maker issue.
Excellent, glad to hear that.(y)

The old icebox fan had ice formed inside so I wonder if the ice prevented it from operating or if the ice formed because it was no longer operational.
Usually its because--->the ice formed because it was no longer operational.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.