• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRFC704FPS00 Ice Maker Not Working

chairmanz

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFC704FPS00
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello,

I recently purchased a used Kitchenaid Refrigerator (Model KRFC704FPS00) and the ice maker is not working. I ordered a new icemaker and installed, but the tray just seems to cycle between positions. When it is in the resting position where it should fill with water, it is slightly twisted. I am thinking that the controller for the icemaker is not working and it can not find the home position. I ran test 120 but it does not seem to go past step 03. The manual says that the icemaker is controlled by the dispenser UI, would this be the part to replace?

One other issue that I have noticed with the refrigerator is the temperature control on the inside of the door. The freezer temperature control works but when I change the refrigerator temperature, it just defaults back to 34 degrees the next time I check. I tried changing the temp to 37 degrees which is the recommended setting, but it will not stay there. This makes me think that maybe the main control board is bad??

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

Sean

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check your serial number against this service flash:

Attachments

• KRFC7 WRF9 Service Flash- software.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 38

chairmanz

Premium Member
I checked my serial number and ran test 128 and my software version is up to date (7.0.0). The service flash for the icemaker says to replace the icemaker with the new part number. I already did this and it is still not working. I ran service test 14 and got 18F, service test 16 and got 14F and service test 31 and got 18F. It seems to me that the issue is with the icemaker not being able to find the home position. Since the icemaker is controlled by the dispenser user interface, my gut tells me that the dispenser UI needs to be replaced. I ordered a new dispenser UI, so we will see if that is the issue.

Any other suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

chairmanz

Premium Member
I also noticed that the previous owner of the refrigerator tried to replace the icemaker, as well, since it had a newer manufacturer date.

How long would it take for the new icemaker to produce ice? When I installed the new one, it just seemed to cycle back and forth periodically and never actually filled with water to produce ice so I turned it off after about 24 hours. I ran the icemaker water valve test and it dispensed water so I don't think that is the issue.

rickgburton

Staff member
It can take as long as 24 hours before it starts but then it picks up.

If not, possibly the new ice maker is defective.

chairmanz

Premium Member
Just a quick update, I ran service test 120 which is the door icemaker self diagnostics. It starts at step 02 "moving clockwise to end of harvest location" and then jumps to step 04 "Moving Counterclockwise Back To Homing Location". Once on step 04 it just stays there. There is no 60 second timeout and there is no error code shown.

chairmanz

Premium Member
I replaced the dispenser UI and also replaced the icemaker again, and still nothing. I can hear the icemaker moving every hour or so, but still no ice. Is it possible that the main control board needs to be replaced?

rickgburton

Staff member
Is the ice maker getting any water? New ice maker and UI didn't fix it. Ice maker motor gets 12.7 VDC from the user interface J10-9 and J10-10 and you can hear the ice maker working makes me think it's a water issue. I don't know what to think about test 120. You may need to have Whirlpool take a look.