• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRFC704FPS03 Ice maker intermittent/slow/stopped working

ABusDrvr

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFC704FPS03
Brand
KitchenAid
Another KitchenAid ice maker issue. Serial #K93310653. Age is 1.5 years. The ice maker has been working intermittently but now seems to be out. Sometimes it would decide to make ice and sometimes not. I've looked through other threads and have seen all the ice maker issues. I've run some diagnostic tests with these results:

Test 14 = 4
Test 16 = 25
Test 31 = 0
Test 65 = ON
Test 66 = ON
Test 79 = 01
Test 97 = I've heard the valve open and it appears water is going to the tray. I've also see FF displayed and can't find what that code means. (Full?)
Test 120 = PA

With Test 14, Door Ice Box Thermistor, at 4 degrees there should be enough cooling to make ice. In the service manual, Test 16 Door Ice Maker Tray Thermistor, states "Read Icemaker Tray C Temperature." Is the test 16 reading temp in Celsius and not Fahrenheit even if the F is indicated on the operating panel? If so, then 25C is around 77F, which is out to lunch. This would lead me to suspect the ice maker needs replacing due to a bad thermistor. My understanding from reviewing the service manual is that the thermistor must reach 15F before it will harvest (dump) the ice out. Since the tray thermistor is never getting to 15, it will never dump the ice. Any experts care to chime in on whether test 16 is in C and not F? Is a new icemaker in my future?

Thanks.

George

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Service Test - 14 Door Ice Box Thermistor
--->Read RC compartment Temperature. “SH” indicates “shorted” thermistor, “OP” indicates “open” thermistor.
Service Test - 16 Door Ice Maker Tray Thermistor
--->Read Icemaker Tray C Temperature. “SH” indicates “shorted” thermistor, “OP” indicates “open” thermistor.

That is odd, I have not seen that before in ANY tech data sheet mention "Read Icemaker Tray C Temperature". Does the ice maker tray feel like 77 degrees F when you touch it?

Test 97 = I've heard the valve open and it appears water is going to the tray. I've also see FF displayed and can't find what that code means. (Full?)
That I don't know about the FF.

Here's the ice maker for your model:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is there water in the ice maker tray after you did the ice maker fill test 97? You will need to actually check the ice maker tray to see if it put water in the ice maker tray.

Jake

ABusDrvr

Premium Member
Thanks for the input Jake.

Perhaps the diagnostic info is poorly written (or translated) and the "C" means something other than Celsius (Tray C, Center of tray, etc.) The tray is certainly not 25 degrees C, thus my question about the thermistor. The strange thing is that is now producing ice. I'm not sure what caused the return to service. I'm trying to monitor it's performance because I think production is lower than it should be even in the max ice setting. This morning I heard the water valve open and fill the tray followed by the entire break and dump sequence a little over an hour later. The water valve then opened again to start another cycle. Intermittent problems are always the toughest to solve. I'm keeping my ears tuned for the possibility of a frozen ice tube when the water valve opens. We'll see.

George

ABusDrvr

Premium Member
My suspicion that the ice maker fill tube icing up has been confirmed. I heard the water valve click to open but I did not hear water flowing to the tray. I pulled out the ice maker and found a large blob of ice in the tube. It fell out shortly thereafter due to melting. I do have Technical Service Pointer #: W11406716 and will have a look at the wiring and follow the procedure. At least the repair kit, W11366500, isn't very expensive. I've seen the video on removing the fill tube and wiring but not one on installing the new fill tube. Is it tough to route the long tube up through the ice maker and out the hole near the hinge?

Thanks,

George

20210524_120657.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
BINGO!!!

Here's the Fill Tube with Heater Kit for your model: W11366500

Look at these threads from the other members that had this problem too:

I posted that service bulletin in that first thread in post #2.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

ABusDrvr

Premium Member
Thanks again Jake. I've ordered the fill tube kit. I'll try to either photo or video the removal and replacement for others. Looking at some of those other threads it looks like the wire placement for the heater wires was poorly chosen. In one it appeared the wire was broken by the movement of the ice tray. Hopefully moving the wires to the new location will eliminate the problem.

George

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok George sounds good.:)

Jake