• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRFC704FPS04 RC warm while FC is working fine

dmwilson1990

Model Number
KRFC704FPS04
Brand
KitchenAid
I've had the KRFC704FPS04 for a little over a year now and all of a sudden the RC is staying around 50F while the FC stays at 0F. I found the service manual and after running diagnostics discovered "Service Test - 03 RC Evaporator Thermistor" was reading 122F while all other thermistors appeared normal temp. The RC fan will activate in diagnostic mode. My hunch is that the evaporator thermistor needs to be replaced but I can't seem to find instructions on how to do so or an up to date parts list for the *04 revision. The video in the service manual does not link to the right URL. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

W11366204 Service Manual

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, so that indicates the RC thermistor is the culprit. You are correct.

Unfortunately, you can only get the RC thermistor only when you order the complete evaporator cover assembly, which includes a new RC evaporator fan motor assembly and new RC thermistor:

On page 3-8 here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iRRnn103aeGMfrJwdW0Qoazg6S6k2qho/view?usp=sharing is the instructions and videos to remove the evaporator cover assembly.

Evaporator Cover Assembly
1. Remove the freezer door.
2. Remove the top pan assembly.
3. Remove the bottom pan assembly.
4. Remove the bracket assembly.
5. Remove the freezer ice maker.
6. Remove the four corner screws on the evaporator cover.
7. Pull the evaporator cover assembly away from the back liner, disconnect the wiring connector, and remove.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake