• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRFC704FSS00 - Fridge not cooling or making ice

JasonL142

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFC704FSS00
Brand
KitchenAid
My fridge stopped making ice then stopped cooling. There was a grinding noise coming form the fridge when the cooling stopped and when i checked the evaporator it was clogged with ICE. After defrosting the unit it worked again but within the next couple of months the same problem occurred. I have defrosted again and it works again. The ice maker will work and then stop at various intervals. Presuming this is a connected issue. Any help is very much appreciated as to what i should do next. Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We need the serial number of your refrigerator, I did locate a service bulletin on this issue.

Serial Numbers: K600*- K740*
Possible Concern: It is possible that consumers might experience:
Warm temperatures in the Refrigerator Compartment
No or slow ice production
Noise from the compressor, evaporator fan or Refrigerator section.
Frost or moisture on suction line at the compressor.
Frost buildup on the Evaporators.

Water inside the refrigerator section.
No water from the dispenser.
Doors not closing properly or misalignment.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that means the service bulletin applies to your model, I'm attaching it below. You will also need your tech. data sheet, which is located underneath the top right side upper refrigerator door hinge cover to do TEST 128 first to see what version of software yours has--->Page 3.

1. It is very important to enter the diagnostics program and confirm the control is the proper version. Proceed to test 128 to read the current version. See chart below for the appropriate software version--->Page 3. Control does not have to be replaced if version code is correct.

Service Step 128: You should have--->Software version 7.0.0 or higher, if not order the new control board below.

The manufacturer has replaced part number W11332011 with part number W11333076.

You can order it here: W11333076

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

• service-pointer-w11033419D-ice-buildup-on-evaporator.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 40

JasonL142

Premium Member
Thanks Jake,

It says number 6 on the test. Few more questions if i may. What is the probability that the updated software will cure my problem? Is this covered under any manufacturers warranty as it seems like it should be. Is the new control board easy to install, I'm an average handy man. Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, you need version 7, so I'd order the new control board I posted the link to above in post #6.

What is the probability that the updated software will cure my problem?
I'd say 100%, but you also have to do the remainder below.

--->2.Remove the RC Evaporator cover to verify the gasket type is the correct version.

--->3.Defrost the refrigerator section evaporator to ensure it is completely free of Ice and frost before installing new cover to insure proper operation. When using a heat source to defrost the refrigerator section evaporator cover, care should be exercised not to overheat the plastic surface of the cover or the polystyrene foam behind the cover. Doing so can permanently damage these components.

--->4.To insure proper sealing of the replacement refrigerator section evaporator cover, be sure that the refrigerant lines that connect the evaporator do not come in contact with the replacement cover.

Look at Pages 4 and 5 in the service bulletin.

The manufacturer has replaced part number W10815735 with part number W11167902.

Is this covered under any manufacturers warranty as it seems like it should be.
No, its not, but I agree with you, it should be. You can contact KitchenAid to see if you can work something out with them on it.

Is the new control board easy to install
Very easy, just make sure you unplug the refrigerator first before you replace it. Watch this video below, it gives you the general idea of how to replace it.

Jake

JasonL142

Premium Member
Spoke with Kitchenaid and they have agreed to pay for the parts but they have to be installed by a certified technician so the labor costs are probably going to be more expensive than the parts would have been. Oh well, if the labors too much i may get really pissy and try to do something else. Any ideas on rough labors costs for this so i don't get taken to the cleaners? And thanks again so much for your help, without it i wouldn't have had an idea about any of this stuff let alone getting the parts free.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know what the labor charge would be. Rough estimate $200-$300.

Jake