• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRFF707ESS01 not cooling in fridge or freezer compartments

sealza87

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFF707ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
About a year ago had a major ice build up in fridge on coils. Had to take apart and completely defrost. Seemed to work fine up until now.

We came back from vacation last Sunday and Discovered on Tuesday that the food in freezer was soft. Also noticed fridge wasn’t staying cold and at 45 degrees. Took covers off and found no ice on fridge coils and checked freezer coils and found a small amount of ice on top portion of freezer coils. Ran all diagnostics and passes all tests. Only test that gives code 02 is test #6 and shows bi-metal open. Can hear compressor running and fans are working.

Any other ideas?

Thank you for any help.

sealza87

Premium Member
Update: fridge is now cycling back and forth between the fridge and freezer evaporators. Only the top of each evaporator is frosting over. Should the entire evaporator coil frost over when cooling?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the parts diagram for your model:

Only the top of each evaporator is frosting over
Yes, that indicates you have a sealed system problem. Check your owners manual warranty, some models have a extended warranty on the sealed system/compressor.

Look at the last photo below, where it says NORMAL FROST PATTERN.

Frost Patterns.jpg

sealza87

Premium Member
Thank you Jake that’s what I was afraid of. I replaced it with a new fridge today.

Another question I have is I am wondering if I unplug the fan/thermostat assembly in the freezer, will the unit automatically focus on cooling the fridge and would it potentially keep the fridge portion cold for just drinks? Hate to completely discard the fridge.

Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thank you Jake that’s what I was afraid of. I replaced it with a new fridge today.
Thanks for the update!

Another question I have is I am wondering if I unplug the fan/thermostat assembly in the freezer, will the unit automatically focus on cooling the fridge and would it potentially keep the fridge portion cold for just drinks? Hate to completely discard the fridge.
No, not likely.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.