• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRMF606ESS01 ice maker working inconsistently

MRinaldi129

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF606ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
My KitchenAid KRMF606ESS01 ice maker is working very inconsistently and doesn’t make a lot of ice. I also get ice melting in the bin and leaking inside the fridge. I ran several diagnostics and cannot seem to find a problem but I do get error E05 on test 56. Thermistor test showed a pass and all other related ice maker functions seem to be fine. Seal between ice maker and door also seems ok.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching the tech. data sheet below.

Service Test - 56 Ice Maker Error Codes
--->Displays active Ice Maker Error Codes on the UI display. (E0 = No Errors, E1 = No Cooling, E2 = Motor Lost Position, E3 = Heater Timeout, E4 = Dry Cycle, E5 = Timed Ice Making).

E5 = Timed ice making. This code indicates the ice maker thermistor is warmer than 16° and the ice bin thermistor has been below 45° for 3 hours. An E5 can be the result of a defective IM thermistor, bin thermistor, loose thermistor connection, ice box fan not running or a cooling issue.

Put a freezer thermometer inside your freezer and tell us what it reads after 2 hours.

Do you hear the ice box fan running?

Jake

Attachments

• W10844356-RevA.pdf
    516.1 KB · Views: 43

MRinaldi129

Premium Member
Hi Jake

I placed a thermometer in the back of the middle drawer of the freezer and it read around 9 F after 2 hours. A quick note that I lowered the freezer set point down to -5 F a while ago when I first noticed problems with the ice maker but it didn’t seem to help. I am not sure if the freezer temp should match the step point exactly?

I did check all the thermistors shown on the tech sheet (1, 2, 32, 37, 39, 58, 65, 77) and they reported a 01 - PASS. The humidity read 28 which seems low if that is the ambient but I am not sure where it is read.

I can’t really distinguish the ice box fan from a sound perspective but I did force it on and off in diagnostic mode. It appears the fan is running based on feel of airflow. I tried to measure the airflow but the velocity was too low for my anemometer to detect it.

Thanks

Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your freezer is too warm, its need to be closer to 0 degrees F.

You are possibly at the beginnings of a sealed system problem, you will need to contact KitchenAid Canada and have their tech. come out to investigate this.

You should have a full 5 year warranty on your sealed system parts and labor.

Jake