• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRMF606ESS01 - interior lights stopped working along with ice maker and water

twoods86

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF606ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a 5 year old KitchenAid KRMF606ESS01 5 door refrigerator that had an issue one night a couple of weeks ago where the inside lights wouldn't shut off. Thinking it needed the typical power cycle, I did that but then the lights would not come on, and the ice maker and water dispenser stopping working as well. After searching and reading a lot, I check my wiring harnesses in the pantry drawer and at the top left hinge without removing them and saw nothing (could still be a problem there that's not apparent).
After more troubleshooting I replaced the main control board (WPW10675033) and that did nothing so after more reading and checking the Aurora board power between P1-P4 at 12.7 volts, I replaced the Aurora board but that has helped either.
Since replacing the main control board I've noticed that our freezer isn't as cold as it previously was, but this could have started since the issue first started, not sure.
I can't find anything on programming the main control board, so I wasn't sure if that could be an issue or if it even needs done, so I actually replaced my old control board in case it was ok and retained any programming, but that hasn't changed anything either.
Any ideas on the next direction would be appreciated.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
On the power board, check for 120 VAC P1-1 to P1-2 and P1-3 to P1-4.

Check for 12.7 VDC: P2-1 to P2-5; P2-2 to P2-6; P2-3 to P2-7; and P2-4 to P2-8

twoods86

Premium Member
P1-1 to P1-2 and P1-3 to P1-4 both have 120v ac, but P2 doesn't seem to have a wire at P2-1:
KRMF606ESS01_power_board-sm.jpg

although P2-3 to P2-7 and P2-4 to P2-8 have 12.7 v dc, and P2-2 to P2-6 shows 12.7 v dc as well.

twoods86

Premium Member
I got the main board from an Amazon seller, before I found this site.
After the main board didn't change anything, and after the freezer seemed to be less cold than before, I replaced the original main board, so the original is currently in the fridge.
The one I bought looks like the capacitors have been replaced.

twoods86

Premium Member
I saw another post about a similar issue where it was recommended to unplug the Pantry UI board, so I tried that and after plugging the fridge back in, it brought the interior lights back on and the ice dispenser is working again, water isn't working, so seems like that line may be frozen up.
What do you think that would point to, the Pantry UI board itself or the wiring harness?

twoods86

Premium Member
Everything looked good, I didn't see any connectors backing out anywhere I checked.
Last night the fridge, seemingly at random, maybe every half hour or so, starting beeping like the door was open, then flash PO until you hit confirm.
Ice maker didn't make any ice overnight, but water still worked this morning.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I remember a service bulletin about this problem, it says to check your deli door user interface board for spillage underneath it, thus shorting it out and causing these odd problems.

Erratic dispenser and/or ice maker operation
Deli Control display changes
Door ajar light and/or beep won’t turn off
Erratic User Interface operation

Here it is for your model:
User Control and Display Board WPW10769076

Its in-stock here: WPW10769076

There is a video in the part link that shows you how to remove it to check for spillage underneath it, ALSO remove the wires that go to it and see if all those problems go away.:)

Let us know what you find.

Jake

twoods86

Premium Member
Yes, ice and water were working fine before this, no problems at all with the fridge until this hit.
The Pantry UI board looks great, no evidence of any water getting in or any corrosion on it.
To remove the wires, are you just talking about disconnecting the wires at the UI board or also disconnecting the wire harness connectors inside the fridge under the covers on the sides?

rickgburton

Staff member
It sounds like a short somewhere in the UI board. I doubt you would be able to see anything obvious on the board.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
To remove the wires, are you just talking about disconnecting the wires at the UI board
Just remove the wires from the Pantry UI Board and see if everything goes back to normal.

Jake

twoods86

Premium Member
With the wires to the UI board disconnected the inside lights come on and water will work, no ice, but now it beeps and flashes the PO error since our freezer our freezer is staying about 45 degrees, we've had to move everything to the freezer on another fridge that we luckily had.
I've tried unhooking the wires from the pantry drawer front that connect to the wire harness and I've checked the wiring in the drawer for continuity but it seems fine and we still get the beeping and PO message since the freezer isn't staying cold now.

twoods86

Premium Member
Some more info, now the fridge seems to shut itself off and reset every 4-5 mins. When it "restarts" it is quiet for maybe 10-20 secs then it flashes the PO message, then after a short time you hear the ice maker doing something, then the fridge sounds like it starts back up, low humming like normal. 4-5 mins later the whole thing cycles again. The fridge area only shows about 47 degrees as well, so something isn't right with the cooling, not sure if that's a symptom or part of the root cause. It wasn't doing this when it first started having issues, we only had the lights and ice/water not working. The Pantry UI board is still disconnected.

rickgburton

Staff member
Hmm.... Now we're back to the main board again. I found a troubleshooting guide but it's too big to upload. Give me your email address in a private message.

twoods86

Premium Member
The fridge has been continuing it's beeping, sometimes at close intervals and sometimes maybe 30 mins apart.
The fridge is now at about 56 degrees and losing the cooling battle, and now when I pulled the fridge out today, there was a small patch of ice on the back of the fridge a little ways below where the control boards at located.
Tapping on that area it seems solid like it's frozen behind there.
I unplugged it for an hour or so to help it defrost, but shortly after I plugged it back in ice started forming again.
Do we need to empty it out and unplug it overnight?

twoods86

Premium Member
I haven't run the tests above yet, ended up emptying the fridge and unplugging it late Sunday, let it defrost overnight.
Monday morning it felt better on the back, plugged the fridge back in but left the Pantry UI board unplugged, monitored the temp and everything seemed good by that evening.
Ice and water working normally, all lights in the fridge and freezer are coming on. If I unplug the fridge and reconnect the UI board, when I power it back on the lights and ice/water don't work.
Several days later and everything seems good.
That is with my new Aurora board installed. Does that seem to indicate a wiring harness issue?
I'm tempted to run this way since all I lose is the Pantry drawer controls which isn't a huge loss.