• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRMF606ESS01 water dripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

crispywabet

I noticed that every once in a while there was water dripping down across the ice/water paddle. I read that it may be due to small icechips at the bottom of the ice dispenser melting and dripping down. So I just wiped it up. Later I noticed that there was a little ice droplet coming down from the ice maker section (mounted in the top of the fridge) I thought it might have been due to the door being left open and too much humidity got it, so I ignored it. Less than 1 week later, on Monday evening, I noticed that there was water dripping out of the ice dispenser door/flap, I wiped it up and then noticed that water continued to show up. On Tuesday morning, I noticed that there was a considerable amount of water on the tray under the water/ice dispenser, I empited the ice reservoir to find ice crystals on some of the ice and water in the bottom of the container. The fridge was not very cold. I also noticed that the freezer didn't feel very cold either, and there were ice crystals on all the contents. I used the paperwork for Control Board Troubleshooting (found under the top/right hinge cap) I ran every service test and believe that all tests gave a pass. I heard fans and noticed air flow at the appropriate times.
(I am not sure if one of the fridge doors or the freezer drawer was left open/ajar over night (I was not the first one to use it in the morning and the kids don't remember if it was/wasn't open) but that would only account for this one time.
As of Tuesday afternoon, 4:30pm
The fridge is set to cool to 3 deg C, and I measured the temp to be 2.5.
The freezer is set to -18 deg C and is measuring -16.2.
Water is collecting at the exit door of the icemaker, in and around the ice bucket, and dripping down the chute and down across the paddle
I removed the exit cover where the ice comes out of the icemaker and I have turned off the ice production.

A little history...
I purchased this fridge, Aug 2021, used and very quickly realized that it had a few issues. The previous owner told me that it was sitting in a garage unused for over a year. I removed every panel and cleand mold/mildew and small bugs from every crevice.
I replaced the icemaker as the coating in the icemaker tray was coming off and ending up in our icecubes.
I replaced the auger motor for the ice dispenser, as it was seized (I dissassembled the old one and found it was full of rust, I assumed that it was due to the fact that it was sitting in the garage for so long, but maybe it is a symptom of the problem that I'm having now)
The freezer drawer has a split in the seal at the bottom (I have not replaced it yet)
The right side fridge door seal is missing the little flap where it overlaps with the vertical door brace that folds.
The lower drawer in the freezer is missing the stabilizing bar, and the plastic roller that the bar should fit into and get locked into with a collar is broken (I've have the bar, I've ordered 2 right side brackets (just to get the geared roller with for the stabailzer bar (both were broken in the same spot as mine, the seller said he had 3 more and they were all broken in the same spot. So I have glued mine but have not put it in, yet.

PS I don't know how to include pictures

crispywabet

Since I have turned off the ice maker, the dripping has COMPLETELY stopped. So, it must be something to do with the fill tube or the heater for releasing the icecubes or the maybe the heater for the fill tube.
I ran service test 56 Ice Maker Error Codes and it says E2=Motor Lost Postition, I then ran service test 59 Ice Maker Motor, the test seemd to proceed without an issue, but the test 56 E2 code still remained, I then ran the service test 57 Ice Maker Harvest, the test seemed to proceed without an issue. I then service test 58-Ice Maker Heater Activation and Thermistor, based on the display, the heater was off, then on, and the temp was warmer than harbest temp. I don't know where to go from here.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Its possibly leaking from the water reservoir or the water inlet valve.

Here's the water reservoir for your model(Video Included in part link):
W11168758 Reservoir

Here's the water inlet valve and video below.

Water Inlet Valve WPW10341329

Jake

crispywabet

Hi Jake, thanks for the quick reply, It doesn't appear to be leaking from the reservoir or valve, i have the upper panel removed and can see both components easily.
I have seen that video, thank you.
Do you think if could be from a bad icemaker? I orded it off Ebay, seemed like good reviews.

Last edited:

crispywabet

I am thinking of taking out the icemaker to test it, can you help me diagnose what might be the problem? There always seems to be moisture coming out of the the ice maker flap.

crispywabet

I am thinking that the air coming from the bottom freezer that gets sucked to the top icemaker might not be cold enough. The fan for the icemaker is running. Is there anything else involved in the delivery of cold air to the icemaker? Can you help me diagnose this issue?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, lets focus on the drip right now.

So if its not leaking from the reservoir or water inlet valve, then the ONLY other place it can leak from is the ice maker.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
Ice Maker Assembly W11294907

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

DO--->Service Test - 45 Ice Maker Water Fill Test
NOTE: BEFORE INITIATION THIS TEST, GO TO STEP 57, INITIATE ICE MAKER HARVEST TO INSURE ALL ICE IS EJECTED FROM MOLD BEFORE FILLING.
--->After an initial 3 second delay, displays the Ice Maker water fill stat on the UI display. Press SW3 to start a water fill. Pressing SW3 will toggle between ON and PAUSE. (02 = Off, 03 = On, 04 + Paused).

After that fill test see if it leaks.

Jake

Attachments

• W10844356-RevA.pdf
    516.1 KB · Views: 19

crispywabet

Hi Jake, thanks again for the reply.
I have just replaced the ice maker (1 month ago). I do have that data sheet.
I ran ST 57, it completed normally
I ran ST 45, it originally displayed 02=off, I pressed sw3, the display switched to 03=on and the water filled for 10 seconds or so, then displayed 02=off again, (I'm not sure if I was supposed to press sw3 again, (I didn't see 04 "+" paused (which I assume was supposed to have been 04 "=" paused)
I will wait a while to see if a leak occurs
I have been placing a thermometer in different areas to see the temperatures that each area is reaching. The freezer seems to get to -16 to -17 deg c (it is set at -18) the ice bucket has varied between -6 and -1
The ice maker area is displaying about -5.6 deg C
After the above tests (57 and 45) I ran ST 56, Ice Maker Error Codes and it still says E2=Motor Lost Postition (as it did yesterday)

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know Celsius, just Fahrenheit.

So -5.6 C is 21.9 F which is way to warm, it needs to be 10 F degrees at all times to make ice properly.

I ran ST 56, Ice Maker Error Codes and it still says E2=Motor Lost Postition (as it did yesterday)
That means the ebay ice maker is bad, get your money back and buy the new ice maker I posted above.

Jake

crispywabet

Wouldn't the -5.6 D (21.9F) temp at the ice maker mean that that it is not getting enough cold air from the frezzer below? I get how the E2 code might mean that the ice maker is bad, but I fail to see how that would affect the air temperature.
Also, I reset the fridge by unplugging it for 5 min and plugging it back in. The E2 code is gone and it is making ice again.
The little door that has a vent in it, that opens to let the ice fall out of the maker and into the ice bucket in the door is not closing up fully and there seems to be moisture building up around this little door.

crispywabet

Sorry for all the messages, but I’m trying to figure this issue out ASAP. The ice maker is making ice. I changed the freezer temp from -18 def C to-21 thinking that would make the air to the top ice maker area colder and maybe stop the moisture from occurring. The air coming out around the ice maker is now -9 deg C or 15 def F.
I am noticing that the water is dripping again on and around the paddle and the ice in the is wet in the bucket. I also determined that moisture is forming on the outside of the ice dispenser chute. I’m not sure if there is a seal that need to be replaced from below the ice bucket area. When I got this fridge used the auger motor was not working and I had to replace it, I found that the old auger motor was rusted, the previous owner said the fridge was in the garage for a year unused and I figured that was why moisture has had got in there and ruined the auger motor. Now I’m thinking that he lied and that this problem was there all along. Any insight you can give would be great. Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your freezer temperature is fine, so its a matter of the freezer evaporator fan motor not pushing enough cold air up to the ice maker compartment, or your ice maker fan not running at all times.

Regardless, the ice maker E2 means the ice maker itself is bad.

The water dripping is another problem that you have not found the problem too.

I'm closing this thread. You have multiple issues going on here, it would be more wise to have a KitchenAid tech. come out to fix these problems for you. As its going to be impossible to help you with these issues just on this forum.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.