• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRMF706EBS01 - frig shutting Off &On

hittman

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF706EBS01
Brand
KitchenAid
For the last couple of years I have been experiencing the frig shutting off. The lights go off and the motor is not running but the display panel is still lit. I have usually gotten it to work again by unplugging it and plugging back in. I have removed the drawer panel and looked for water, but have seen none. And sometimes that light is off along with the lights inside. Recently, I have heard a lot of clicking going on, as if it is trying to turn itself on. It has been alright for a few weeks but today, it went off again. Strangely, when I open the doors, the light is off and then goes on and then off. When I open the door, the red light in the display panel usually goes on immediately and then off immediately when closed. This time there was a delay in the red light coming on and then even more of a delay going off, well after the doors are closed. Same effect with the drawers. After waiting an hour for it to start, I unplugged it again and replugged it and everything seems to be working again. But I again heard the clicking noise before it turned itself on.

My efforts to get Whirlpool certified technicians to diagnose have been futile--when they can make it after waiting weeks everything is working fine! I have come across an independent tech who is high on KitchenAid but not this model for this and other reasons. He has looked also for water under the deli control board and for burn marks on the main board, but sees none. He says it is really not possible to test the many circuit boards and that it can be expensive to start randomly replacing them.

Any ideas?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Next time it shuts off and the lights don't work do this: Access the power board and main control board and the LED board behind the machine. On the power board check for the following voltages-
● P1-1 to P1-2 = 115 VAC
● P1-3 to P1-4 = 115 VAC
● P2-1 to P2-5 = 12.7VDC
● P2-2 to P2-6 = 12.7VDC
● P2-3 to P2-7 = 12.7VDC
● P2-4 to P2-8 = 12.7VDC

If the voltage checks good, unplug the machine and disconnect then reconnect all the connectors on the boards. Make sure they are on all the way. Check for any pins backing out of the connectors. Check for any pinched or broken wires.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the power board for your model, so you know which board it is:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No worries Rick.

Glad to help @hittman keep us posted.

Jake

bbk5

Premium Member
I'm having the exact same issue with mine. KitchenAid techs have been out & replaced basically everything on 3 visits since March 2020 - the deli drawer, control board, wire harness. 2 years later, the same issue persists.

KitchenAid has agreed to continue paying for the parts whenever a repair is needed but no one can figure out what the actual issue is. The certified techs refuse to continue servicing it so I've now had to work with independent techs.

The original technician mentioned that the wire harness in the door is a known design flaw & has since been improved on newer revisions of this model. Would appreciate if anyone has more information on the design flaw or successfully fixed this issue when it was not caused by water pooling in the deli drawer.