• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRMF706ESS00 5 Door French Panel - No Lights No Ice

vMAC

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF706ESS00
Brand
KitchenAid
I'm hoping someone can help me with my refrigerator. Here is the background........
We bought the house last year, and the refrigerator came with it. The house was built in 2016 so the refrigerator is about that old as the homeowner before us stated they bought it when they built the house. The home didn't have RO and when we moved in we noticed the dispenser had calcium deposits that made the water spray, and the ice chute would sometimes stick slightly open (just enough for melted ice to come down). We also noticed that the pantry lights no longer lit up. Add water softener and RO line to back of fridge and then moved on to fixing the Panel. In taking it out I noticed a puddle of water with blue gunk in it under the panel. Two of the wires were dissolved and caps were missing from the back of the board. I unplugged all the connectors took out the board and it's been that way since March/April of last year.

Fast forward to March of this year I notice that when filling a cup the refrigerator started to beep as if a door was open. Looking in the manual I can find no reason this should be happening. It dispenses ice, the water works, no problem with the fridge or freezer just when you are filling up water for longer than 3-5 seconds the fridge will beep. I checked a couple forums and they mentioned this could have something to do with the Pantry board / harness. So I found a pantry board and I put new terminations on the harness (so I didn't have to buy a new door) and this weekend I put them in (without unplugging the unit, I know). The pantry board lights up and appears to be working via all diagnostic tests.

Fast forward and hour and I open up the refrigerator and all the lights inside the unit do not turn on. NO LIGHTS (side wall, top, freezer, all don't light up). As I live in AZ, about a couple hours after that we notice the ice is not refilling (not good). Over the last 4-5 days I have been trying to troubleshoot what could have broken. I have completely unplugged the pantry drawer harness, and the pantry board, as some have suggested, and I still get no lights. I get no error codes from the ice maker, temperature is correct in both the freezer and the fridge. The ice maker is bone dry, so I moved to testing to get it to fill with water. Using 45 (FIll Test) I have found that the valve actuates ( it will hit you right in the eye with water). After taking out the ice maker it appears that the water line is freezing and thus why it is not making any ice. In searching the forum it appears that the LEDs work like Christmas lights, so I'm assuming that could be the problem, however, some in the forum have stated it could be the LED driver board. I believe that I have it narrowed down to the LED board (Aurora) but I need some help. How do I test this board to verify it is sending the proper voltage to the lights and the fill tube heater? Lastly will this fix the super annoying beeping while filling water, or is that a problem that I am getting from another board on this refrigerator?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Didn't I talk to you on the phone Monday from Lake Havasu City?

Remove the Pantry UI wire harness completely first from the refrigerator and see if the Lights come back on.

Here's the Pantry UI(User Interface) wire harness for your model:

Here's the video that shows you how to remove it:

If still no lights, then yes, it sounds like you shorted out the LED Board(aka Aurora Board) OR the Power Supply Board. The Aurora Board also has the ice maker fill tube heater circuit on it, so that would also explain why the ice maker fill tube is freezing up now.

Get a meter and check for 12.7 Volts DC at the P1 connector of the Aurora Board.
--->Aurora board: P1-1(blue wire) to P1-4(black wire) = 12.7 Volts DC constant.

Here's the Aurora Board for your model, you will also get a $60 credit put back in your credit card when you order it at RepairClinic and send the old LED Board back to them:
Control Board W10804160

Here's the Power Supply Board for your model: WPW10624574

Jake

vMAC

Premium Member
Jake,
Yes sir that was me you spoke to, thanks for your help during that call.
I unplugged the entire harness from the pantry board. I also disconnected it from the input on the bottom of that drawer. Is that what you mean, or are you saying I need to disconnect and completely remove that wire from the refrigerator?

I did test to P1-1 and P1-4 and I am getting 12.7VDC exactly. Is there something else that I need to test on that board to verify it is leaving the board properly? I have no problem getting the board, but I want to make sure.

Lastly, would this board have anything to do with the beeping sound?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I also disconnected it from the input on the bottom of that drawer.
That's fine, I just wanted to make sure there was no short in that wire harness causing the LED's lights to go out.

I did test to P1-1 and P1-4 and I am getting 12.7VDC exactly. Is there something else that I need to test on that board to verify it is leaving the board properly? I have no problem getting the board, but I want to make sure.
Ok, since you are getting 12.7 Volts DC then that confirms the Power Supply Board is good, so the Culprit is The LED BOARD(aka Aurora Board).:)

Lastly, would this board have anything to do with the beeping sound?
Try this:
Disabling Sounds--->To turn off control and dispenser sounds, press and hold ICE/ WATER and MEASURED FILL at the same time for 3 seconds. All normal operating tones are disabled. Only alert tones will be audible.

To turn all sounds back on, press and hold ICE/WATER and MEASURED FILL at the same time for 3 seconds again.

What color is the water filter status light? Yellow? Red?

Jake

vMAC

Premium Member
Try this:
Disabling Sounds--->To turn off control and dispenser sounds, press and hold ICE/ WATER and MEASURED FILL at the same time for 3 seconds. All normal operating tones are disabled. Only alert tones will be audible.

To turn all sounds back on, press and hold ICE/WATER and MEASURED FILL at the same time for 3 seconds again.
I will try that.

What color is the water filter status light? Yellow? Red?

I don't have a filter in so it states replace filter (red). Being that I have it hooked up to RO I don't need a filter. Do you believe that is causing the beeping?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, then that's the cause of the beeping sound when you are using the water dispenser, is no filter.:)

Here's a thread on how to bypass it:

Let us know how it goes after you replace the The LED BOARD(aka Aurora Board).

Remember to unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet first replacing it.:)

Jake

vMAC

Premium Member
Yes, then that's the cause of the beeping sound when you are using the water dispenser, is no filter.:)

Here's a thread on how to bypass it:
Duh............can't believe I didn't tie that to me getting rid of the old filter that had been in there from the old owners. Stupid noise is now gone......I want to smack the engineer/marketing person who thought that was a good idea.
I have now removed the filter housing and put in a 1/4" to 5/16" union connector. I ziptied the switch. The sound is now gone!
Let us know how it goes after you replace the The LED BOARD(aka Aurora Board).

Remember to unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet first replacing it.:)
I will respond back once I replace the board, it should be here mid next week.
I will definitely remember to do that this time.......smh. I've put in Spa breaker boxes and wired them up without turning off the power, but my $4,000+ refrigerator I will make sure to never do that again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have now removed the filter housing and put in a 1/4" to 5/16" union connector. I ziptied the switch. The sound is now gone!
Excellent.(y)

Yes, I'm very confident the new LED BOARD(aka Aurora Board) WILL FIX the lights inside and the ice maker water fill tube from freezing, Yes, let us know.:)

Jake