• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRMF706ESS01 fridge dies, unplug it and plug it back in and then it starts up again

BT23

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF706ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
Our fridge has been acting up for the past year. we had to get a tech to come in as the fridge was not cooling and the freezer was frozen. we had to replace the thermistor sensor and the cooling fan. the past couple of months, we noticed that the ice maker stopped making ice. the fan at the inside where the ice comes out of the top part of the fridge into the container in the door stopped working and ice build up was coming down the back section of the fridge from the ice maker compartment. i posted this issue in a wrong thread and Jake did give us some options to look at. the crazy thing is that when we went to take the ice maker unit apart to do what Jake suggested, the ice maker started working so we thought we would leave it and wait and see what happens. So the past couple of weeks the ice maker has been working fine and there is no ice build up showing underneath the unit.

what started to happen though is that the fridge dies. open the fridge door and the lights are all out in the fridge as well as the drawers. we had to pull the fridge out from the wall, unplug it and plug it back in and then it starts up again. we have been doing this for the for the past couple of weeks. not sure if its connected to the ice marker, but its extremely frustrating. we are tired of pulling the fridge out and pushing it in so it has been sitting in the middle of our kitchen just so its easy to unplug and plug back in. i have a thermometer in the fridge as i truly dont trust it to keep the right temperature and it fluctuates from 0 to 5 celcius. the freezer goes from -10 to -30 celcius at times. not consistent but i would rather have my items cold then warm or hot and have to throw out again.

Any suggestions to why this is happening? has anyone experience this issue?
Bruce

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Look at this thread:
Working on a hunch. I disconnected all three connectors from the LED(Aurora) Electronic Control Board, then plugged the refrigerator back in. Much to my surprise, the refrigerator came back to life! Obviously, the interior LEDs were not illuminated, but everything else seemed to be functioning correctly - the front control panel was functional, the compressor was running, fans were blowing... After about ten minutes of what appeared to be normal operation, I entered the diagnostic mode and successfully ran through the five tests to confirm basic refrigerator functionality, then resumed normal operation.

I simply let the refrigerator run for nearly two days. It was starting from room ambient temperature and I wanted to see whether or not it would stabilize at the set temperatures. After about a day, the ice maker resumed operation. A day after that, it stopped producing ice - it was going through the motions, but ice no longer dropped into the bin and the water was no longer heard rushing through the tubing during the subsequent fill cycle. This was expected, since the fill tube heater was no longer operating.

So, first do what he did--->I disconnected all three connectors from the LED(Aurora) Electronic Control Board, then plugged the refrigerator back in. Much to my surprise, the refrigerator came back to life!

Your model uses that exact same LED(Aurora) Electronic Control Board:
W10804160 Cntrl-Elec

Its located in the back of the refrigerator, behind the cover on the exterior back of the refrigerator wall.

Let us know what happens.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Bruce, sounds good, let us know.

If disconnecting the three connectors on the Aurora board does not resolve it, then its most likely the main control board is the culprit.

Here's the main control board for your model: WPW10675033

Jake