• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Refrigerator KRMF706ESS01 ice maker not working. Again

Ice monkey

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF706ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
I replaced the ice maker about a year and a half ago. 4 months ago, the water valve for the ice maker stopped working so I replaced that. Now the ice maker is not making ice again. No error codes in Service test 56. Harvest works fine in 57. Fill works fine in 45. In fact, I can fill it using 45, and harvest it later in 57, but it will not make ice on it’s own

Any ideas? I’m guessing I’ll be getting a new ice maker but want to make sure before I order.

My wife swears she won’t buy another Kitchen Aide because of the constant issues.

Next to tackle, ice build up in the freezer. 🤦‍♂️

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, the ice build up in the freezer can make the ice maker not make ice either.

I need to know the temperature in the ice maker compartment, because if the temperature is NOT below 10 degrees in the ice maker compartment, then it will never make ice on its own.

Also what is the temperature in the freezer? I use a laser temperature gun, you can get one at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Or go buy a freezer thermometer, all stores sell them, get the digital or liquid type.

Take a photo of the ice buildup in the freezer and upload it here.

Do you hear the freezer(evaporator) fan running in the freezer?

Jake

Ice monkey

Premium Member
It sounds like the fan is running. I haven’t pulled the drawers out yet. A few months ago ice build up was rattling the fan blade so I took it all apart and defrosted it. Not looking forward to doing it again.

I unplugged the fridge and let it sit for a bit.....ctrl alt del.......the ice maker has ice in it but hasn’t dumped yet.

Best I can tell (with an instant read meat thermometer) it’s about 14 degrees. I guess 10 is the trip point to dump?

C5883B3B-8782-4DFD-82E1-322357C0F323.jpeg
AA07E945-8E44-452D-B3B0-8F53D2A590CE.jpeg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That looks like someone accidently left the door open or ajar causing condensation to form and turn to ice. Or you don't have a tight seal when the door is closed.

When the door is closed check the door gasket all around the door and look for air leaks.

Jake

Ice monkey

Premium Member
We have always had issues with the freezer icing up. Had the gasket replaced last year but I hasn’t made a huge difference.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What did you do to reset it? Turn it off, then On again? Unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet for 5 minutes to reset the control board?

Jake