• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRMF706ESS01 ice maker slow to dispense ice

Grumpy2

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF706ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
Ice maker makes ice and then won't drop it into the box for over an hour. I can feel ice in the ice maker but it just stays in the ice maker. I'm not 100% sure I am doing it right but it seems to pass all the tests to check the ice maker. I can get the ice ejector to go around and get it to fill the tray with water. Sometimes if I unplug it and then plug it back in a short time it will work properly for a short period of time. I figure it may be a problem with the control board but don't know which one controls the ice maker.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Make sure its always 10 degrees or lower in the ice maker compartment when it does not drop ice for awhile, put a freezer thermometer in the ice maker compartment and tell us what it reads. Also put a freezer thermometer in your freezer and tell us what it reads.

Have you cleaned your condenser coil underneath the front of the refrigerator, if not, I'd do that first. The factory recommends that you clean your condenser coil underneath your refrigerator every 6-12 months, if you have pets that shed hair, then every 3-6 months.:)

A clogged condenser coil will cause to much heat load on the condenser and compressor and it will not cool properly at times, THUS ice may not drop consistently if the temperature goes above 10 degrees at times.

The condenser coil is located on the bottom of your refrigerator behind the front bottom kickplate grill. Just open both refrigerator and freezer doors, then pull that kickplate grill off, PULL HARD it just unsnaps.

Then get a vacuum cleaner attachment or condenser brush to clean your condenser. Even better would be if you have an air compressor or shop vac to blow the condenser coils out, yes its a bit more messy on your kitchen floor, but it cleans it thoroughly.:)

Vacuum Hose Attachment 8171579A

Refrigerator Condenser Cleaning Brush

I figure it may be a problem with the control board but don't know which one controls the ice maker.
This one:
whirlpool-cntrl-elec-wpw10675033-ap6023728_01_m.jpg

Here's the video:

Keep us posted.

Jake

Grumpy2

Premium Member
Jake,

I have checked the condenser coil under the refrigerator and it is fine. I don't think the temperature is an issue but I will check it anyway when I get a thermometer.

The ice dumps into the bin and almost immediately I can hear the water refill the tray. If I check in a half hour or so the ice is rock hard. Then it takes up to four hours for the refrigerator to decide to dump the ice in the bin.

I'll get a thermometer and check the temperatures as you suggest before I go any farther.

Thanks for the help.

Randy.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'll get a thermometer and check the temperatures as you suggest before I go any farther.
Yes Randy, do that first please.

Jake