• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRMF706ESS01 no lights and intermittent ice maker

Jenniebeeb

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF706ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
I have searched for this particular issue in other threads, but it seemed like others were also experiencing other issues that I am not, so I apologize if this has already been addressed.

We have a KRMF706ESS01 that's about 5 years old - initially the lights inside the fridge stopped working and I noticed the deli drawer control UI was also dead....opened up the UI area of the drawer and had the common/known issue with the water pooling underneath the board on the deli drawer. One of the wires on the drawer front had completely corroded off of the connector...unhooked everything, lights came back on, so I thought all we needed was a new drawer front.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, and prior to being able to replace the drawer front, we experienced a new issue....I was standing there putting some groceries away and all of a sudden lights went completely out. Along with the lights going out, the ice maker has been intermittent at best, and is not working a majority of the time.

Thought maybe this was all due to the drawer front, and the wire harness that feeds the drawer, so replaced both of those this last weekend and the lights in the entire unit (fridge, freezer, drawers) still don't work, and ice maker is still intermittent at best.

The UI on the front of the fridge still works....so we can get water, ice (if it's there), change the temperature in the fridge and freezer, etc. But none of the lights work, and the ice maker is intermittent (it occasionally will make ice, but it's not consistent and errs toward not making ice). Fridge also correctly detects doors/drawers open/closed, so no issue there.

I read something online that suggested it could be the LED control board, and I'm curious if that's what I should consider replacing next. Otherwise, fridge seems to work fine other than lights and ice maker at this point.

Also realized I put this in the Whirlpool section, probably should have put it in the KitchenAid one....sorry about that :-/

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, I moved your thread to the KitchenAid forum.:)

There is a service bulletin about this problem, it says to check your deli door user interface board for spillage underneath it, thus shorting it out and causing these problems.
Erratic dispenser and/or ice maker operation
Deli Control display changes
Door ajar light and/or beep won’t turn off
Erratic User Interface operation

Here it is for your model:
User Control and Display Board WPW10769076

Its also in-stock here: WPW10769076

There is a video in the part link that shows you how to remove it to check for spillage underneath it, ALSO remove the wires that go to it and see if all those problems go away.:)

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jenniebeeb

Premium Member
Hi Jake! Thanks for moving my thread, sorry for putting it in the wrong spot. :)

I actually just replaced the deli door and the harness that feeds that door last weekend. Think one of the new parts could be bad?

Initially when the lights went out and I noticed the board (WPW10769076) wasn't lighting up anymore, I unplugged the board (WPW10769076) and all the lights came back on (the ice maker had still been working like normal as well).

The board had been unplugged since the New Year, and the lights in the fridge and ice maker were working normally until a couple of weeks ago.

When I replaced the drawer front (W10815669) and the harness (W11170612) this last weekend I fully thought the lights and ice maker would start working again, however, turns out that is not the case...so something else must also be wrong?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I actually just replaced the deli door and the harness that feeds that door last weekend. Think one of the new parts could be bad?
Where did you buy the parts at?

When I replaced the drawer front (W10815669)
Wait, what?

You paid $800 for this part?

Did you replace this part below:

Jake

Jenniebeeb

Premium Member
Where did you buy the parts at?
Genuine Replacement Parts - not sure if this is a legitimate site, but the parts were packaged like OEM parts?

Wait, what?

You paid $800 for this part?

Paid slightly less as their web site had it for less than $800, but yes - the one wire had completely corroded off the connector. I could have re-terminated it I suppose, but when I originally looked it up I read the only way to get that harness was to buy the drawer front. :-/
DCACB368-DCF9-4185-9978-CD11F1D6BD4E.jpeg
Did you replace this part below:

Jake

Have not yet replaced that part as previously it didn’t seem to have to be plugged in for the interior lights to work. Just went back through my photos for a proper timeframe, and I unplugged the wires from that board back in October 2020 and everything (lights and ice maker) continued working fine.

Lights and ice maker just recently stopped working around February 2021, so that’s why I felt it was unrelated?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like you have multiple problems now, this is going to be impossible to help you fix just in the forum here, you will need to have a tech come out to investigate this problem you are getting now.

Usually when people just unplug the wire harness to the Pantry UI control board, that solves the rest of the problems, did you disconnect the Pantry UI control board wire harness from it begins before it gets to the Pantry UI control board?

Here's the wire harness to the Pantry UI control board:

Jake

Pro Tech

Premium Member
I had the same issue with a service call. Customer complaint was there were no lights and the deli display board was dead. In my case, the problem was not the UI or Aurora board but a wire break to the left front fresh food door switch in the foam insulation. The unit could not be repaired.

Attachments

• IMG_2704.jpg
    IMG_2704.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 140

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for posting that Pro Tech, seems I remember another person mentioning that several months ago too, about the wire break in the foam insulation.

Jake

Jenniebeeb

Premium Member
I had the same issue with a service call. Customer complaint was there were no lights and the deli display board was dead. In my case, the problem was not the UI or Aurora board but a wire break to the left front fresh food door switch in the foam insulation. The unit could not be repaired.
Interesting, I worried about something like this possibly being the case. The switch is what detects that the drawer is open/closed? Or this is a different switch? This fridge detects all the drawers and doors opening/closing properly currently. But maybe I will attempt to do more troubleshooting...Hadn't thought to look at that switch prior to replacing the pantry drawer wire harness :-/

Last edited:

Pro Tech

Premium Member
If the switch is open it will kill power to the deli display and lights. Service mode initially showed all switches were ok, but on the second visit service mode indicated all switches were bad. The foam penetrated the switch and shoved the wires down. I think they installed the switch at the factory when the foam was still wet and over time it seeped into the switch.