• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kitchenaid Refrigerator KRMF706ESS01 not making ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnovision27

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF706ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
Hey there folks.

I picked up this fridge for a really good price, with the caveat that the icemaker "was not working"

I don't mind a challenge and I've been eyeballing this fridge for quite a while. So, pulled the trigger.

I've completely dismantled the icemaker to verify that there is no binding or broken items. All is good. Water line isn't frozen, both valves work (main and icemaker), and the harvest sequence works just fine.

I've ran the following tests and have produced the following results, some with the unit properly installed and some with it plugged in and accessible.

18 - Ice Door Motor. Functions fine. (Auger was seized but a new one has been ordered)
19 - Ice maker fill tube heater status. Activated it and felt heat coming from the wire. Functional.
36 - Ice box fan. Works as expected and pushes an adequate amount of air. Seems to rev up in pulses initially. But does reach full speed and pushes cold air.
37 - Ice box thermistor. 01-Pass
45- Ice box fill test. Filled with an adequate amount of water. Tried it twice in a row and it's definitely working as it almost immediately overfilled the ice tray.
56 - Ice maker Error Codes. E0- no codes
57 - Ice Maker Harvest Test. Successfully runs through the whole sequence.
58 - Ice Maker Heater activation and thermistor. I've ran a few iterations of this. I've activated the heater and have physically felt the ice tray heat up. I've also activated it when it's full of water, and have heard a sizzle. So, it's hot and functioning as far as I know. With fresh water, its read a second digit of 0, warmer than harvest. I've also had ice made in the tray and it correctly registered a 1, colder than harvest.
59 - Ice Maker Motor. Successfully finds home CW and CCW. Both completed with a second digit of 1.
76 - Ice Box Fascia Heater. Activated it and felt the wire warming

So, that's where I am. Last I checked, there was frozen ice in the maker and the thermistor registered it as being colder than harvest temp, but didn't activate the harvest sequence.

I guess I'm at a loss for what could possibly be wrong. Is it a control board issue at this point?

Any help is greatly appreciated with this head scratcher.

Cheers

John.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi John, the most important part of the ice maker cycling on its own is temperature. The ice maker compartment MUST be under 10 degrees F at ALL times for the ice maker to cycle on it's own. Water can freeze at 32 degrees F, but the ice maker will NOT cycle the ice out of the ice tray until it gets under 10 degrees F.

So get a thermometer and take the temperature of the ice maker and see what it reads. I always use a LASER gun thermometer, you get them at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Jake

johnovision27

Premium Member
Awesome. Thanks for that tip, Jake.
I recall you saying that in another thread but assumed (incorrectly I suppose) that the thermistor being below harvest temp would have triggering the harvest sequence.
Out of curiosity, do you happen to know what "harvest temp" is?

I'll give this a shot in a few days when I get back.

johnovision27

Premium Member
Hey folks.

So, good news! After leaving the fridge for a 9 days (thanks for the patience) it has produced quite a bit of ice. I'd say the bucket is about 2/3 to 3/4 full.
I have no base of comparison, but I would have thought after 9 days, that it would be full. Either way, it appears to be working.

I used an IR laser thermometer, and it was registering an internal icemaker temperature of 16°F with frozen ice in the tray.

So, yes it's working, but is it working properly?

I should be getting the replacement auger in a few days.

Thanks for the info.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
16 degrees F is borderline, the ice maker temperature should always be 10 degrees or less to make ice properly and quickly.

Check the freezer temperature with your IR laser thermometer too and tell us what it reads.

Jake

johnovision27

Premium Member
The freezer is set to -18°C and is reading -7 on the back panel. It's currently empty of food and drawers.
I noticed a bit of frost forming on the rear coils. I'll pull the panel off later today and see if the whole core is frosting up.

Fridge is set to 3° and reading around 2°

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Please use Fahrenheit, it's too early in the morning to do conversions for us older folks. LOL

I noticed a bit of frost forming on the rear coils. I'll pull the panel off later today and see if the whole core is frosting up.
Yes, do check that and take a photo of the evaporator coil with your phone and upload it here.

Thanks!

Jake

johnovision27

Premium Member
So, I exposed the evaporator core today and that is a bit of frost forming, not a lot but more than should be for an empty fridge plugged in for only 2 weeks. There was a little frozen puddle in the bottom of the freezer as well.

20210530_125540.jpg

I ran test 3 and 4, neither activated the evaporator fan.

The defrost does work and the defrost thermistor passed.

So, I feel the failed evap fan may be contributing to the low ice production and the higher temperatures.

I'll purchase a new one and see what whether or not the issue is resolved. I hope it's not a control board issue.
20210530_125026.jpg

Should be noted that only half a bucket of ice was produced in 2 weeks time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, you can actually test voltage from the Main control board, which is located on the back exterior wall of your refrigerator.

I'm attaching your tech data sheet below, look at the very bottom in that chart where it says MAIN CONTROL see P14-1 and 14-2--->12.7VDC--->FC FAN MOTOR OUTPUT ACTIVATE SERVICE TEST 3, STEP 2. Do that SERVICE TEST 3, STEP 2 and that will activate 12.7VDC on those pins.

Here's the freezer evaporator fan motor assembly for your model:
W11109595 Motor-Evap

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

• W10844356-RevA.pdf
    516.1 KB · Views: 60

johnovision27

Premium Member
Perfect. I was hoping you'd respond with that info. I recall reading it on another thread but couldnt find it again for the life of me.

I'll report back.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

johnovision27

Premium Member
Well, found the issue. Luckily, it's not the control board.
Ground isn't even connected to the motor. Voltage at the board and at the connectors read 12.7VDC.

I'm going to try and reattach it, in the Hope's of saving about $200.

I can't even imagine how something like that happens. Quite disappointing to see, but hey... bought the fridge knowing it didn't work properly, so it's all part of the adventure.

Attachments

• 20210531_152330.jpg
    20210531_152330.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 68

johnovision27

Premium Member
Great success.
I carved away the ceramic to expose the 1/8" of wire remaining and soldered the 2 wires together.
Plugged it back into the fridge, ran test 3, condition 2, and it works!

The red and blue wires also had the shielding cut at the ceramic, for whatever reason. To protect the wires, I created a casing in tinfoil and filled it with hot glue.

I'm going to reinstall everything and give it a day to see how the fridge reacts.

As it stands, overall temperature is lower than it should be, resulting in low ice production, higher than set freezer temps, and mild frosting on the freezer evap core.

Attachments

• 20210531_162041.jpg
    20210531_162041.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210531_172644.jpg
    20210531_172644.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 44

johnovision27

Premium Member
3 hour update.

Freezer evap core is sitting at -19*F (no drawers or anything in to get a temp off of) and fridge temp is sitting at 32*F on the walls, and the ice maker is sitting at 10*F, on the nose!

Good news all around!

Thanks for the help Jake. I believe all the issues are fixed, aside from the auger, but that's already on order. Tested the leads while activated the door switch and I'm getting 120VAC. No let expecting any further issues there.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent John, glad you found that broken wire.(y)

I don't think I've ever seen that evaporator fan motor wire break that close to the motor before, that is quite interesting to see!

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.