• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Refrigerator KRMF706ESS01 with a few problems, ice maker not working properly, and inside LED lights out, display lights out

Status
Not open for further replies.

lestonian

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF706ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello! So i have the 5 door model KRMF706ESS01 with a few, likely independent problems.

1. Intermittent ice making. Significant condensation in ice bin on door and below the icemaker. (new problem)
I've completed the following tests with the following results:

Test 56:
Code E5
Test 45: Passes. Code 02
Test 58: 00. Ice currently in tray freezing.

2. Refrigerator UI and Control Board(3rd problem)
This display has no lights or controls any longer.

3. Freezer lights are no longer working(1st problem)

4. Lights in refrigerator portion above the top shelf are not working(2nd problem perhaps linked to timing with #3)

5. Water gathering below fresh food bins. Noted that the evaportator drain pan is arched as mentioned in prior bulletin.

The lights in the freezer went first and in line with the upper lights in the refrigerator. The lights on the UI control board went second. Followed by the weirdly operating icemaker this week.

I'm looking for the best path forward to replace parts in a sequential manner to determine, what is related and what is not related. As some might be independent.

thanks for the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like you have multiple problems.

For the inside LED lights problem, they run in series, if the FREEZER LED is not on when you open the door, replacing that one fixes the rest of them in the refrigerator section.

Here's 3 other members that had this same problem and the new FREEZER LED module fixed them all:

Here's that FREEZER LED module you can order:
whirlpool-module-w10695459-ap5971112_01_m.jpg

For the ice maker and display lights issue--->Pull the refrigerator out from the wall and unplug the refrigerator, then remove the cover over the circuit boards on the exterior back wall of the refrigerator, then disconnect all the wire connections to the Aurora board and plug the refrigerator back in and see if that resolves these issues, if so you will need a new Aurora board to fix this problem.

Here's the LED light board(aka Aurora board) for your model:
W10804160 Cntrl-Elec

Test 56:
Code E5
E5 = Timed ice making. This code indicates the ice maker thermistor is warmer than 16° and the ice bin thermistor has been below 45° for 3 hours. An E5 can be the result of a defective IM thermistor, bin thermistor, loose thermistor connection, ice box fan not running or a cooling issue.

Jake

lestonian

Premium Member
I replaced the freezer LED and the light did not come back on in the freezer or upper refrigerator. I'm going to order another light and try again, in case it was faulty.

Egertk

Premium Member
If you have a DMM you should be able to set it to diode test mode and check the LED itself on the +/- terminals of the board and see if it lights up or not. On mine two of the upper LEDs were also burnt out.
Your intermittent ice maker issues are similar to what I've experienced on our fridge, have you ever had the coils in the back of the freezer compartment ice over and the fan there makes a loud noise as it's scraping on ice? I've had to unplug and let the entire thing defrost and that resolved (for a period of time) the no ice issue. I also took apart my ice maker to find that it was not well sealed and allowing freezing temps to escape into the fridge compartment which was causing ice build up where it wasn't supposed to be in the ice maker possibly preventing proper operation. I saw somewhere else the recommendation to wrap the evaporator heating element in the freezer compartment with some bare copper wire and stick that wire down the drain tube to prevent it from plugging with ice. (The copper transferring the heat)
Good luck with your issues! This fridge has been nothing but issues in the four years we've owned ours, we ended up buying a new one last week and now I'm trying still to diagnose and repair this KitchenAid so I can at least recoup a little money out of it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you have a DMM you should be able to set it to diode test mode and check the LED itself on the +/- terminals of the board and see if it lights up or not.
Yes, that is true, Thanks @Egertk for pointing that out as well.

Also, you can do is use a jumper wire and jump each LED to see which one is bad. When you jump the bad one, the rest will light up in that series.

Make a jumper wire, and jump that Refrigerator LED and see if the rest light up fine.

It worked for this member:

If the FREEZER LED is good, then next one in series is the LEFT TOP FRONT/BACK one.

Here's the LEFT TOP FRONT/BACK one in the refrigerator section:
LED Light W11462342

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

lestonian

Premium Member
I used a fridge thermometer, placed it in the ice maker area for 4 hours. It read 6 degrees F. It will make approx. like 5 pieces of ice per day at most.

What should I check next?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
TEST 56--->E5 = Timed ice making. This code indicates the ice maker thermistor is warmer than 16° and the ice bin thermistor has been below 45° for 3 hours. An E5 can be the result of a defective IM thermistor, bin
thermistor, loose thermistor connection, ice box fan not running or a cooling issue.

Since its reading 6 degrees, that's good. So that usually indicates the ice maker itself is faulty.

The original ice maker part number was W10746960 but that has been upgraded to W11483245

Jake

lestonian

Premium Member
I was thinking the same thing. Would you advise buying that W11483245 and replacing the whole unit? I don't want to spend excessive hours chasing more problems since the refrigerator is still operational.

Is the IM thermistor, bin thermistor, and ice box fan contained in this part # mentioned above?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the IM thermistor, bin thermistor, and ice box fan contained in this part # mentioned above?
No, just the IM thermistor comes with the new ice maker.

The bin thermistor and ice box fan are working fine or it wouldn't be 6 degrees in the ice maker compartment.

Would you advise buying that W11483245 and replacing the whole unit? I don't want to spend excessive hours chasing more problems since the refrigerator is still operational.
Yes, but its currently out-of-stock most everywhere I've checked.

W10746960 is currently in-stock.

Jake

lestonian

Premium Member
I am planning to replace the icemaker today and I noticed frozen water on the back left side of the fridge area. the only other place ive seen this mentioned is here https://www.applianceblog.com/mainf...refrigerator-ice-buildup-near-icemaker.86059/
with no apparent known problem. I'll inspect my fill tube for any cracks just in case

Can I remove the icemaker and upper assembly and the fridge still operate? Keep my food cold... Obv water dispenser and ice maker would be without a water source. But mainly concerned about operating temps.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Give it 24 to 48 hours to make ice on its own.

Jake

lestonian

Premium Member
Ahhh okay. I ran through and checked a the error codes again.
test 15 02
Test 37 01
Test 45- on and filled, 02
test 56 still contains E5

Ill give it 24-48 hours. Noted! You guys should really have Venmo handles so we can tip for your knowledge! If this works, I imagine it saved me several hundred dollars in labor, time and inconvenience of scheduling a repair

lestonian

Premium Member
We are coming up on 48 hours. We are making ice, albeit slowly. How long should it take for the icemaker to fill it the bin? Assuming we are not removing any ice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
About 48 hours if your not removing any ice yet.

Which ice maker did you install? W11483245 or W10746960

Where did you buy it from?

Service Test - 37 Ice Box Thermistor
--->The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display the results on the Temp Display.
(01 = Pass, 02 = Open, 03 = Short).

test 56 still contains E5
TEST 56--->E5 = Timed ice making. This code indicates the ice maker thermistor is warmer than 16° and the ice bin thermistor has been below 45° for 3 hours. An E5 can be the result of a defective IM thermistor, bin
thermistor, loose thermistor connection, ice box fan not running or a cooling issue.

If its 6 degrees F at the ice maker, then it should NOT be saying that E5.

Jake

Last edited:

lestonian

Premium Member
I purchased this "W10746960 is currently in-stock" from the link you recommended.
test 56 is still showing E5.

I believe the new ice maker came with a new thermistor(the white line with a metal thermistor).

Its still very cold and the fan is running.

Test 37 - 01

lestonian

Premium Member
I did this repair without ever unplugging the refrigerator. Are the boards smart enough to check downline values and reset a process on their own? or is there a manual power cycle I should complete?
Is there an ice box thermistor? Located on the door assembly? I have noticed a slight bit of water dripping down into the control area of where you get ice/water

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Any time you replace a part on a machine, you MUST unplug it first.:)

So now unplug the refrigerator for 5 minutes and see if it all resets.

Jake

lestonian

Premium Member
Just for future reference: You can make this repair while the refrigerator is running(to avoid emptying and downtime of your refrigerator) but you have to unplug(or flip your breaker) for 5 minutes ;)
Issue has been resolved!
Thank you so much for your help Jake. Now I have to repair our wine maker....

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, good job.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.