• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Refrigerator KRSC503EBS01 Ice Maker Not Making Ice.

GR1

Refrigerator is 3 years old--the ice maker has quit making ice. It's a "side by side" with the ice & water dispenser in the door. The ice maker is also located in the door. I replaced the ice maker--no fix. Finally called a service man and within 5 minutes and $94 he diagnosed a broken wire to the freezer door. Repair cost? New freezer door and installation: $1458. I called KitchenAid (Whirlpool) and explained the situation. They offered to replace the door ($700) if I confirmed the problem with their recommended service technician--another $106 for the visit--which I haven't approved. My son in law and I (he did the work) soldered the wire, installed a heat shrink sleeve and it is working just fine. The freezer door was engineered without a wiring connector so the ENTIRE door must be replaced when the wiring breaks. The wiring loom was split open so it was not engineered very well either. Will see about the door replacement! At this point our FIX is working just fine--no cost. KitchenAid has known about this problem for several years and has failed to redesign the freezer door. ??????

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, this has been a common issue for KitchenAid, you will see many others that did the same as you.

Here's just one of many many people who did the same as you:

I agree, they should of resolved this problem already.

Thanks for letting us know what you did to fix yours.

Jake