• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRSC503ESS00 - freezer is good, but fridge side is warm

tranft

Premium Member
Model Number
KRSC503ESS00
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello, I have a weird issue which is intermittent...it will be a long story.
Model: KRSC503ESS (2017 model)
Side by side, dual evap model

The issue is the fridge side gets warm 45-50 degrees F, and after a few days will go back to normal temp 33 degrees.
Freezer side has always been fine.

Evap fan is fine - can hear it run and can run it in DIAG it will turn on.
Fridge evap coils has good frost pattern.
All 3 termistor DIAGS passed.

I have replaced the following parts :
RC evap thermistor
RC themistor
Main control bd
Power supply

KitchenAid repair has been out, but it was working when they came out so they did nothing other than collect their $125.

Now hear me out....
I was thinking that it might be the solenoid that switches the freon between the freezer evap and the fridge evap, thinking that it might be stuck intermittently on the freezer side (long shot theory).
But last night as I was sitting in the kitchen, the fridge side was warming up again to 50 degrees, but I could hear only the freezer fan running only. I thought odd shouldn't the fridge fan be running to cool it down?
Then I thought what if the CPU thought the freezer side was warmer than it actually is? It must prioritized the freezer side as more important than the fridge side. So I bumped up the freezer setting up to 5 degrees and BOOM sure enough the freezer fan shutoff, then the fridge evap fan turned on and it started cooling down the fridge side.

I will be ordering a thermistor for the FC side, as maybe it is reading warmer than it actually is.
(As mentioned above DIAGS passed on all the thermistors, but I think DIAGS just tests for opens or shorts and not actually temperature response.)

Has anybody seen this or can concur on my theory above? Please feel free to tell me I'm full of it also LOL.

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We need the complete model number first. The model number tag is located inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling.

Here's the results I get:
KRSC503ESS00
KRSC503ESS01

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below. In SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE--->DO STEP 1--->FC THERMISTOR and see if it passes or not.

Jake

Attachments

• Service and Wiring Sheet - W10751694 - Rev A.pdf
    793.4 KB · Views: 52

tranft

Premium Member
HI Jake,
I ran all the thermistor DIAG's which includes Step 1 "the FC Themistor" and it returned a value of "01" = pass.
Like I said it could be that it passes but the DIAG doesn't measure if the Thermistor is accurate. I'm thinking that the FC thermistor is telling the CPU a warmer temp than it actually is.

Model is: KRSC503ESS00

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the freezer side thermistor for your model:
W10316760 Thermistor

To test it, you ohm it with a multimeter, you put the thermistor in a cup of ice water for 5 minutes and it should read about 8.7 K ohms.

You can ohm test it from the main control board, remove Connecter P5 then put your meter probes in Pin 3(black wire) and Pin 4(black wire) of the connector, not the pins on the board themselves.

Make sure you unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet first before ohm testing it.

Jake