• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Refrigerator KRSC503ESS00 Freezer Lights Dim or Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaCD

Premium Member
Model Number
KRSC503ESS00
Brand
KitchenAid
My Fall 2016 Kitchenaid KRSC503ESS00 side by side freezer compartment has some lights out and some lights dim. However, the light in the ice bin works perfectly when you open the door. I’ve seen many posts on here with similar issues but couldn’t find one specific to my model.
Does anyone know which module or part I need to replace? Any help towards diagram or YouTube videos to point me in the right direction.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

On this model there are 2 LED lights in the freezer, one on the very top freezer ceiling and one on the right side freezer wall. Which one is completely out?

These LED lights run in series, they are like the old Christmas lights, when one goes bad it affects the others.

Here's the very top freezer ceiling LED light for your model:

Here's the left side freezer wall LED light for your model:

This video shows you the way to remove these:

Jake

MamaCD

Premium Member
Thank you so much Jake! The top light is completely out and the one on the left wall is very dim.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then very top LED on the freezer ceiling is the one you will need to replace.

Jake

MamaCD

Premium Member
I have tried everything I can to remove the old light. This is how mine looks and it does not just pop out with a putty knife easily. I can see from the new part where the clips should be on the old one but I have shimmied and pushed and turned and pulled as best as I can with a putty knife on the side between the ice maker to no avail. Any ideas how I can get this thing out?? Thank you!!

90EE69D8-14CE-49C7-8A30-5F9296891008.jpeg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The 2 tabs should be on the right side, keep trying and it will come out.

You may need to use a hair dryer to warm it up so the tabs release easier, don't hold the hair dryer in one place, keep moving the hair dryer back and forth on the right side.

Jake

BEERviper

Premium Member
I'm going to piggyback off this post since I have the same model KRSC503ESS00, however my issue is a little different in with the freezer lights.

My freezer lights had gone out completely around 2 weeks ago. Then my ice maker stopped working however the icemaker lights still work with the switch. Since they both happened within a short time of each other I thought maybe they were related somehow. The ice maker was due to 3 broken wires leading into the bottom of the freezer door which I posted about here. After the power was out for around 40 minutes while I repaired the wires and turned back on the freezer lights (all of the ones inside the freezer but not the ice maker) started to flicker. I would depress the door close switch and release it and the LED's would go from dim to bright then start to flicker. After a little while they just stopped working altogether again.

Today I messed with the switch and was able to get the lights to flicker as I slowly released the door switch but could not reliably reproduce the issue. Again, the icemaker LED's continued to work as expected.

I'm trying to determine if it's the door switch or the LED light that has gone bad. I've seen where the top LED houses some capacitors and a small circuit board indicating it has the "brains" for the lights.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

BEERviper

Premium Member
Well both are out but I can intermittently get them both to flicker when I first open the door and if I push the door switch open/close it will flicker sometimes but not repeatable.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then yes check the door switch first.

Now on yours I see two door switches, #10 and #13 here:

Disconnect power to your refrigerator first before removing the switches and ohm testing them for continuity.

Jake

BEERviper

Premium Member
The strange thing is that the light inside the ice bin still functions as expected when the door switch is opened and closed, it's just the 2 freezer lights that are acting up.

Also I'm a bit hesitant to attempt pulling out the switch after reading what this guy went through on the same exact model: https://www.applianceblog.com/mainf...l-you-open-and-close-door-intermittent.78295/
The switch appears to be encased in foam insulation and does not disconnect like the switch in the video.

Right now everything points to the switch being bad, just wish there was an easier way to diagnose. I don't want to run into the same issues getting that switch out!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know what else to suggest if you are leery about removing the door switch, except to contact KitchenAid to come out and do it for you.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
turned back on the freezer lights (all of the ones inside the freezer but not the ice maker) started to flicker. I would depress the door close switch and release it and the LED's would go from dim to bright then start to flicker. After a little while they just stopped working altogether again.
The strange thing is that the light inside the ice bin still functions as expected when the door switch is opened and closed, it's just the 2 freezer lights that are acting up.
Ok, I re-read what you said and if the door switch makes the ice bin LED turn on and off normal, then the problem is just the top freezer LED, that one controls the other LED in the freezer too that's doing the same thing.

The top freezer LED is the main one that powers the other one. So if both are doing it, its the top freezer LED that's bad.

Here's the top freezer LED for your model you can order:

This video shows you the way to remove it:

I'm sure it fixed @MamaCD too, but she never came back to tell us, usually if it didn't fix it, she would have come back to tell us, you see what I mean?

Jake

BEERviper

Premium Member
Thanks for taking the time to reread Jake! Hopefully that's the issue, I will order the top freezer LED and hope that solves the issue!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, that should fix it.:)

Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

BEERviper

Premium Member
New top freezer light for my KitchenAid Refrigerator KRSC503ESS00 finally came in, popped it in and I now have light again!! Thanks for all your help on this forum Jake!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @BEERviper glad to hear the new freezer LED light fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.