• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRSC503ESS01 Freezer temp spiking to 21 degrees on a weekly basis

jpaul34

Premium Member
Model Number
KRSC503ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
My KRSC503ESS01 had a freezer malfunction in February and the temp rose above freezing. We lost all of our freezer food. After troubleshooting with the repair company over the phone, they suggested I unplug it for 10 minutes and plug it back in. This seemed to work as the freezer went down to 0 again.

Early in June, the temp spiked again, but I caught it before the food thawed. I don't know how high it went. I unplugged the unit again and it fixed the problem again.

I bought a Bluetooth thermometer to monitor the air temp and it is doing OK, though on 6/18 and 6/25 it spiked to 21 degrees before going back down. Is this normal? (see attached pic)

The repair/warranty company won't do anything to the unit if it is keeping temperature at the time of the visit, so I wanted to start tracking the temps so I could show them what is going on. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• fridge.jpg
    fridge.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 39

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When that happens and unplugging the refrigerator for 10 minutes and plugging it back in and that fixes it, that usually means the control board is malfunctioning.

Here's the control board for your model you can order: W11172798

That board has been upgraded to prevent this problem again.

Jake

jpaul34

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake.

Is it normal for the freezer to spike to 21 degrees once a week? or would I be able to show this to a repairman and he'll know that something is wrong?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, its not normal.

Jake