• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KSCS25FSMS02 - Not Defrosting

smash

Premium Member
Model Number
KSCS25FSMS02
Brand
KitchenAid
Good morning

I have a KA side by side SS fridge with ice maker. Not sure of age, I'd guess around 12 years or so.

A few weeks ago, I noticed the fridge stopped working - kept beeping. A few hours of googling led me to the famous Steve Jenkins post, pointing to the control board as the culprit. I opened up the back panel, pulled out the main board and replaced the blown capacitor with a higher quality replacement. Put it all back together, no beeps!

Fridge ran fine for a few days, then the fridge part stopped getting cool. More googling, figured out that the fridge is not defrosting! So I emptied out the freezer, opened up the cover around the coils and evap fan (both in the freezer section inside the fridge). I did some testing and visual inspection:
- fan works fine
- bi metal thermostat works as expected - it was closed (continuity) in the frozen-over freezer
- heater resistance was spot on (~20 something ohm)
- cleaned out condensor coils... fan works fine btw

I also checked the control board for any other failed components:
- all relays have the same coil resistance (within spec)
- caps seem ok. except a bit off on the uF rating. One of the 100uF caps reads about 150uF. I will be replacing them all this weekend just to be on the safe side.
- no burnt traces or other obvious failed bits.

Put everything back together, fridge ran fine for 4 days, then started warming up again. So once again, opened the freezer, poured water through the radiator fins, melted the ice and put everything back :)

On my 3rd manual defrost cycle now and hoping to get some answers here :)

I came across another post here for the same model fridge as mine. Though this OP had a sealed system leak - I don't think I have that since my coils seem to be frozen pretty evenly.

Used the tech sheet shared by Jake to trigger the diagnostic mode. Here are the results:

1 - 1
2-1
3-2
4-1
5-2
6-1
7-1

In test 7, I see that the heater does come on (I can see a faint glow behind the freezer evap cover).

So, where do we go from here? Any thoughts on what to check next? I have a good DMM, soldering station etc - equipped to take on any testing or rework required :)

Thanks for reading and sharing your knowledge.

Cheers

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the fan in the freezer running?

If so and the defrost heater did come on, that indicates the control board is the problem.

They have a Service Kit to replace those discontinued control boards now.

Here's the SERVICE KIT for your model you can order:
W10823804 Electronic Control Board Service Kit

Jake

smash

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake

The fan in the freezer does come on. I forgot to mention that the baffle also works properly. Defrost heater came on during step 7 of the test.

Is there any tests I can do with a multimeter to confirm that the board asks the heater to come etc?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, we do the process of elimination procedure, if the heating element came on in TEST 7, that means your defrost thermostat and defrost heater working fine, the only part left in the defrost circuit is the control board.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Take a photo of the evaporator coil and upload it here, then we can answer that question.

Jake