• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KSCS25INSS00 interior nail polish smell

MrT

Premium Member
Model Number
KSCS25INSS00
Brand
KitchenAid
We bought this fridge new in 2005 and have had very few issues. Over the weekend, the family noticed a nail polish/chemical smell in the kitchen. I was working on a Halloween costume with markers and stuff that I assumed were giving off the smell. After all that was removed from the area, we decided that the smell is coming from the fridge interior. It's bad enough to be getting into food that isn't sealed up and ice.

Tonight, I emptied the freezer and checked out the coils, etc behind the back panel. Nothing obvious jumped out at me as being heat damaged. Drain pan seems fine. I thought icemaker smelled when I pulled it, but my fam (better noses than mine) didn't detect anything a minute or two later.

Reading old posts, Jake seems to say that refrigerant won't smell- I'm curious if same opinion for this vintage of unit. Again, it seems to be cooling fine- it was up to 50F when I turned it back on, and it's down to 16F an hour-ish later. It seems to hit 0F setting and hold there, though I did notice a 6F to 8F excursion a couple days ago.

The only moving parts inside that jump out as potential sources are the fan motor (which looked fine, but no up-close sniffing) and the damper to the fridge side. Neither is cheap enough to change out without further thought/investigation.

I'm open to suggestions. I did also clean the condenser coils underneath, which was pretty overdue. Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Acetone is a powerful odor and can permeate some plastics. Because of the fans inside the machine, as soon as you opened the door, the marker odor (acetone) was sucked in. Give it a couple days and see if it goes away on its own.

MrT

Premium Member
I think we were mistaken about the markers being the source. I'm pretty sure it was the fridge all along. I'm sitting about 15 ft from the fridge now, and my wife opened it earlier to get out creamer, and I caught a whiff from that. No ambient smell otherwise.