• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kitchenaid Refrigerator KSRG25FKSS15 ice dispenser auger motor freezing up

GSJSki

Premium Member
Model Number
KSRG25FKSS15
Brand
KitchenAid
The auger motor on my ice dispenser is freezing up. If I remove the motor and let it thaw for a day, it will work fine again for a couple/three days. When I remove the panel under the auger motor, there is a small amount of ice froze on top of the panel that appears to be leaking out of the motor/around the motor. The door seal seems fine. The ice maker door seals fine. Light in freezer is off when closed. When you push ice dispenser, light goes on, door opens, but no sound from the motor. Details/backstory:
The breaker for the fridge got tripped by contractors while we were out of town. the ice in the bin melted completely and I assume the water went everywhere.
Cleaned fridge and reset breaker and all seemed to be working. After a few days, the ice stopped dispensing. Removed the auger motor and let it thaw and noticed that it had water in it. Let it dry out for a few days. reinstalled motor and ice dispensing worked find.
The ice in the bin clumps just a little bit on one side I assume due to the defrost cycle - this has always happened to this fridge/ice maker. Now, it seems that when the ice clumps (I assume that means the defrost cycle runs), it looks like this is when the auger motor freezes.
Do you think that my motor has been damaged and needs to be replaced?
Is there a drain hole that might be clogged that should allow the water to drain and not go down the auger shaft?
The behavior of the defrost cycle doesn't seem to be different than it was before, but I suppose the thermistor could be bad all of a sudden?
The temperature of the freezer seems a little cold at about -3 to -5.
Let me know if any additional details would help.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Do you think that my motor has been damaged and needs to be replaced?
Yes, this usually happens when the ice chute flapper doesn't close all the way so check that before replacing the motor.
whirlpool-motor-w11170227-ap6285265_03_l.jpg

GSJSki

Premium Member
Hi Rick, thanks for the response. The flapper chute seems to be closed fine. If that isn't the problem, is the motor then next step?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Correct, the motor seals wear out and moisture gets inside the motor.