• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid refrigerator KSSC42QMS01 not cooling at all

Orchid chef

Premium Member
Model Number
KSSC42QMS01
Brand
KitchenAid
My KitchenAid KSSC42QMS01 is not cooling at all. About one month ago there was two short beeps from fridge side every few seconds, sometimes it stopped but came out again later. At that time, other than the beeps the refrigerator seemed working fine and I didn't dig it further, until recently it completely stops cooling. I found the evaporator fan is not running, so I replaced the evaporator fan motor with a new one, it doesn't help. Next I bought control board repair kit, which includes two relays and two capacitors, I replaced them all, evaporator fan starts working, but refrigerator still not cooling. The compressor starts, I could hear its noise, condenser fan is working too, but condenser coil is air cold. It seems to me related to compressor and refrigerant.
All I could think it could be either of three cases:
1. No refrigerant, it's all leaking
2. Although compressor is running but it's not pumping, or not pumping enough
3. Pipe clogged
How do I diagnose what could be the problem? Any suggestion and help is much appreciated!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You're spot on, the problem is in the sealed system. However, that's usually where we stop. The reason is, regardless what the problem is, it's a sealed system repair and sealed system repairs are expensive and will often exceed the machines value. The only way to diagnose the problem in the sealed system is by installing a service valve on the process tube or low side of the system and one on the high side and connecting a set of refrigeration gauges and reading the pressures.

Orchid chef

Premium Member
Thank you Rick for your response, I really don't want to buy a new one, the same size will cost me nearly $10k (I'm living in Canada), would like to fix it till last hope gone.
If it's really seal system problem, yes I can't do anything about it and have to replace it. But could it still be main control board problem? Could it be part of it fixed but still has malfunction? I'm wondering how possible it could be both seal system and control board to be dead at the same time? Unless one could cause another. I tested the current of input compressor is 0.9A, is it too low for compressor to be fully functional? What could cause this?
Thank you and have a great weekend!

Orchid chef

Premium Member
Just took a picture of compressor, it should be 3.3A in normal, while I tested it's only 0.9A during working, which means it's running inefficient. What could be the problem? The inverter?

image1.jpeg

rickgburton

Staff member
I tested the current of input compressor is 0.9A,
That sounds about right.
If it's really seal system problem,
First basic rule of refrigeration: If the compressor is running and there is no cooling, the problem is in the sealed system. While the compressor is running feel the entrance to the condensor coils for any heat. Feel the exit from the condensor into the filter dryer and cap tube. If there is no temperature change from the entrance of the condensor to the filter drier and cap tube, the compressor is probably not pumping the refrigerant.

Orchid chef

Premium Member
That sounds about right.

First basic rule of refrigeration: If the compressor is running and there is no cooling, the problem is in the sealed system. While the compressor is running feel the entrance to the condensor coils for any heat. Feel the exit from the condensor into the filter dryer and cap tube. If there is no temperature change from the entrance of the condensor to the filter drier and cap tube, the compressor is probably not pumping the refrigerant.
I could feel very litter warm entrance into the condensor, but no heat on condensor coils.

rickgburton

Staff member