• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KSSC48QTS02 Water will not dispense

smaybs

Premium Member
Model Number
KSSC48QTS02
Brand
KitchenAid
Symptoms:

A few weeks ago, dispensing water became intermittant. Sometimes it worked fine, other times you had to press around on different points of the dispenser pads to get it to dispense water. Eventually, it completely stopped dispensing.

The unit's fridge and freezer seems to work great. There has been a long running issue with the ice dispenser that I think is related to the auger motor...but we've been living with it that way for many years.

The control panel on the front (if you turn the fridge off, seems to take a long time to get to "normal"). Upon power up, the light seems to be on by default and the other buttons flicker when touched but dont work...but it does eventually work normally after a few hours (which seems very odd)

Fix attempts for the water dispensing:

1. The symptoms seemed to point to those dispenser pads. They were the originals from 12 years ago when the fridge was installed and they looked old/worn, so seemed like a simple fix.

This did not help. Double/triple checked the connections to the dispenser control board which are pretty foolproof since everything only fits in one place.

2. From there, I moved to the dispenser control board and replaced that....seemed logical as the dispenser pads plug in there.

This did not help.

3. The freezer door switch DOES seem to be operational and the light clicks on and off as expected.

4. The water supply behind the produce bins does not appear to be frozen as I can see water moving around within it. None the less I removed it and put in a bath of warm water for a while.

5. I replaced the filter with a new one even though it showed only 60%. When I put it in, it made the usual "filter filling with water sounds" so this seems to indicate that the water supply is working.

Any other ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There is another dispenser control board located at the top of your refrigerator, that is likely the culprit.

Two other members had this similar issue and that fixed it, here's that thread, look at post #15 and post #17 here:

Here's that same dispenser board on your model too:
WP2318054

Its in-stock at RepairClinic:

Jake

smaybs

Premium Member
I had someone come out and test the above board as well as the smaller square main control board that can no longer be purchased.

There were a few capacitors and relays on each that were no longer within spec according to the repair tech. Both boards were completely rebuilt and now water is dispensing and the membrane keypad is functioning normally again.

The new issues are resolved and the only issue that remains is the original old one...no ice dispenses. The shoot opens but I hear no auger motor running (just a click from the main boards). So next project is to test the auger motor and possibly thaw it out if frozen (or replace it).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On the Auger Motor check for 120 Volts AC between the Red/White wire and the Red/Brown wire when you press the ice dispenser lever.

If you don't get 120 Volts, then that dispenser board I posted in post #2 is the culprit.

If you do get 120 volts, then the auger motor is bad.

Here's the Auger Motor for your model:
W10822635 Motor

Jake

smaybs

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake.

My connector to the auger has

- red/white and black/white wires next to each other on one end
- solid blue and gray wires one pin apart on the other end

The auger motor itself is done I think as it was full of ice/water/etc. I have another, but ...

The other issue I have is that the blue and gray wires corroded and are hanging loose (out of the white connector that connects to the motor).

Do you know what size square pin connectors I have to get the blue and gray wires back in place in that connector?

Or is that connector replacable? I only seem to see an entire wire harness in manuals and the connector wires themselves just go up into the door/liner)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry, I don't know the size of the square pin connectors. No that connector is not replaceable without getting the entire door harness.

The odd thing is they Do show the door harness in the parts diagram, but they don't show a number pointing to it to order it in the parts list:

So, I don't know what you tell you on that.

Jake