• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Refrigerator KSSO48FMX01 - Why wont anyone take a handle repair job?

rnourse

Premium Member
Model Number
KSSO48FMX01
Brand
KitchenAid
Bit of a noob on this forum so please forgive me if I've broken protocol in any way.

My folks have a side-by side KitchenAid model KSSO48FMX01 with custom wood panels on the front. The kind where the panel matches the rest of the cabinetry so it all looks nice and pretty (photo below). Problem is the door handles are starting to come loose on both the fridge and freezer side and need to be tightened, preferably with threadlocker, before they come off entirely which would make it near impossible to open the fridge or freezer door. No big deal right? Right?

For some reason which I clearly don't understand, no one will take the repair work. The original installation company is no longer in business and searching for the actual installer turns up no hits. I've called at least 10-15 repair firms asking for help and the moment they hear there's a wood panel on the front they all decline to take the job. I don't understand... to my (admittedly laymans) eyes this is a simple job. Open the door, remove the interior panel on the back of the door which should allow access to the screws holding the handle on. Tighten screws and reinstall interior door panel.

What am I missing? Why will no one touch what seems like a super-simple repair?

KitchenAidKSSO48FMX01.jpg image1.jpeg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
rnourse said:
What am I missing? Why will no one touch what seems like a super-simple repair?

I don't know. You might try looking up the panel installation instructions to see what exactly might be involved in undoing it and then redoing it again.

Maybe a cabinet installer might be more familiar with such a job? They do such work for a living. A technician's main purpose is its mechanical functioning.

Dan O.

rnourse

Premium Member
There are no panel installation instructions... Although a quick google search on the model shows that its very very popular as a model to have an outside panel attached to, the actual parts repair manual suggests it began life as the type that has a 'lip' style handle.

Door.JPG Doorparts.JPG

paulhl

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Don't know about KA but on a SubZero you remove #15&16 and slide out the panel enough to access the handle.