• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kitchenaid Stand Alone Ice Maker KUIC18NNZS0 works but overfills water tray. Is water refill timed or does a sensor control the level?

Chris2012

Model Number
KUIC18NNZS0
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a Kitchenaid KUIC18NNZS0 under counter ice maker.

It all works fine, keep is cleaned and keep filters new (new filter currently). I don't know if I just never noticed but I always seem to hear the water running. This thing fills for a long time and it overflows out of the water bin down the drain.
I don't have issues making ice and don't have issues with too much or too little ice. Every time this thing fills with water it seems to run for a very long time wasting water, I can't seem to figure out if this is simply a timed operation or if there is a sensor that controls it. After doing a lot of searching I see there is a sensor for that water tray but I believe this sensor just looks for water and not the level while others have said the level. Some have mentioned it is the water valve but that doesn't add up because when the unit is off water stops flowing so I know it's closing properly. Water eventually does shut off but refilling seems extremely wasteful.

This could all just be in my head but I did notice my water bill higher, I have recently replaced my old LOUD refrigerator so maybe now I am finally hearing the water of this stand alone ice maker actually running.

How does this unit know when the water has been filled? Timer?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, on your model it has a water level sensor.

Here's the water level sensor for this model:
WPW10485962

Here's another thread about this water level sensor, your model uses that exact same one:

Like I mentioned in that thread--->@wobiii is very good at working on them. Lots of times he mentions to check for corroded wire connections, I'd check that first at the water level sensor.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.