• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Stand Alone Ice Maker KUIS18PNTB3 suddenly no lights

andrewoz

Premium Member
Model Number
KUIS18PNTB3
Brand
KitchenAid
Today when we went to get ice there are no lights in the unit. Existing ice appears to be remaining frozen but no new ice is apparently being made.

None of the selector lights appear to be lit nor respond to pressing. The bin light does not illuminate.

Please suggest solutions, testing for indicator of issue

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I located a service bulletin on this model, I'm attaching it below.

Customer Concern--->Controls not functioning, no lights on control panel. Thin or no ice, water not flowing over cooling plate, no harvest cycle.
Cause--->Intermittent functioning of the water reservoir sensor.
Explanation--->The reservoir water sensor has three (3) failure modes and each has a unique indication.
1. Internal short circuit between the sensor power and common. This condition causes the control voltage to drop to 0 volts. The control panel will appear to be dead with no indicator lights functioning.
2. Sensor fails to sense the presence of water. This will cause the unit to go into an early harvest causing thin ice slabs or no slabs to be formed.
3. Sensor detects the presence of water when no water is present. Water fill valve will not open to fill reservoir, unit cycles continuously with no water flowing over cooling plate and no ice production.

Correction Procedure--->Replace reservoir water sensor.

Here's the water sensor for your model you can order:
Sensor WPW10548509

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Attachments

• Controls not functioning No lights on control panel Thin or no ice.pdf
    213.3 KB · Views: 53

andrewoz

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for all this info.

I was looking for a guide as to where the part is actually mounted and/ir installation instructions.

Finally decided just to look at the unit and work it out from there.

When I looked, the ice maker was again full of ice and lights were on again.

Seems like it is a transitory issue. Does this sound possible ?

Either way I have the part ready and in place for the next occurrence.

thanks,
Andrew

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Andrew, watch this video below and he shows you how to replace it.

Jake

andrewoz

Premium Member
Hey Jake, I have replaced the part. Super easy to replace the part, once you dismantle the entire freezer assembly. Anyway it is now flowing water. Cleaning is working. But not making ice. Is there a simple test to find out the problem program ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Give it 24-72 hours for it to start making ice.:)

Jake

andrewoz

Premium Member
Hi Jake.

I have had two cycles of 48-72 hours with a clean cycle starting each period. So far no ice production. Bin is cool. Just no ice.

Do you have suggestions on how to diagnose and/or repair ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I don't know what else it could be, I can ask Rick.

Jake

andrewoz

Premium Member
Hi Rick.

Yes the controls are working now. I can start and finish the clean cycle, and turn it off and on.

andrewoz

Premium Member
Water is turned on. - yes - I was able to run the cleaning cycle. I did notice some freezing after a while so I started a cleaning run.

Freezer plate appears to be getting cold. Bin is cold.

Let me know what the diagnostics are so I can them.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, before running the diagnostics, read through the chart a couple times so you know what to expect.

Unplug the machine for a minimum 60 seconds then restore power.

Within 10 seconds of "power on", simultaneously press and hold the "ON" and "CLEAN" buttons until all the LEDs start blinking.

**Within 5 seconds of all the LEDs blinking press any other button on the UI. This will start the manual step through diagnostics.

All the LEDs will turn on for five seconds and the control will go to step one of the diagnostics.

Use the "Service" button to move down through the steps.

To exit manual test mode, press the power button or wait 20 minutes without any key presses.

Snapshot_4.jpg

**After all the LEDs are blinking, if no button is pressed within the 5 seconds the control will default to the diagnostics used at the factory and each component will be cycled for 5 seconds. Don't use this as it's probably too fast for you to get any information.

andrewoz

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

i have been able to cycle through the testing in the table above and the ice maker has responded as expected according to the above items.

I was even able to switch the ice maker to think ice. I will allow it to run for another 24 hours to see if ice production starts

thanks,
Andrew

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I don't understand. You ran the diagnostics and everything checked out so you should have ice. Run the diagnostics again and advance to step #7. Is there a frost pattern? Is the compressor working?

andrewoz

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

Ok I reran the tests. All lights for recirculation pump come on but there is no water motion. Assume this is where we pump it over the tray and it gets cold and forms a sheet of ice. All other functions seem to work. Frost forms and melts.

Unplugged and re-plugged the recirculating pump connection. Reran diagnostics. Still no recirculation pump function.
Is there any other way to test pump or just replace ?

thanks
Andrew