• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kitchenaid Superba KSCS25FJSS01 - Ice and water dispenser quit working

alhco

Premium Member
Model Number
KSCS25FJSS01
Brand
KitchenAid
Now that I have discovered this forum, I want to see if there's anything I can do about my Kitchen Superba Refrigerator. After we owned it about a year, the water and ice dispenser on the door quit working. No ice or water will dispense, although the icemaker works fine. It's not enough of a problem to call a technician but it would be nice if it worked! Help would be appreciated.

renea

Premium Member
KitchenAid Superba

I experienced a similar problem with my KitchenAid Superba refrig after about a year of use. (Purchased in 12/01) No water and only crushed ice came out. I finally decided to see about getting it repaired.

I had a repair person out a few weeks ago. (He was from the local appliance store where I purchased it. I did erroneously assume he was "KitchenAid certified.) He tried replacing the "board" and did replace the filter. I had already replaced the filter several times as that is what the manual suggested could be the problem. Still no water and now there is cubed ice but no crushed ice.

After searching online yesterday I discovered that there was/is a problem with these refrigerators. Apparently there is a wiring issue in the freezer door. There is no way to repair this except to replace the door--a rather expensive part. I spoke with KitchenAid yesterday. The "customer service" rep tried to tell me that the extended warranty for this problem was expired. She said it was 4 years. Apparently she can't add. After I made her realize her miscalculation she said it wasn't under warranty because I had a non-authorized repair person out.

I argued with her about this and explained that I knew there was a wiring problem from what I read online. After I informed her I would be contacting the state BBB, Attorney General (for fraud), etc. and asked to speak with her manager she managed to set up a free appointment with an authorized repair person. Of course they can't give me a time frame for the appointment--only sometime between 8 and 5. I'll let you know how this turns out.

KitchenAid knows there is an issue with this refrigerator, but is trying to keep it quiet. The irony is I purchased this refrigerator because I had owned the nearly identical Whirlpool model for 6 years with no problems. Since the Whirlpool version was no longer available when we moved I paid the extra money for the KitchenAid version thinking I was getting a good product.

renea

Premium Member
Following up to my earlier post--a "certified" technician confirmed that the wiring in the door is at fault. The only solution is to replace the entire freezer side door. For many having a problem with the ice/water dispenser this may be the problem. My refrigerator was purchased in late 2001. Some may still have been available in 2002.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I rarely have seen this happen on the KitchenAid's, I replace more broken plastic bracket supports that hold the water and ice dispenser switchs in place, than bad wiring in the door.

They may have more issues with the door wiring in certain parts of the country.

Jake

BuffFan

Premium Member
I have this same problem with the same model. No water, no ice, and no light(bulb is new). I do not see any visable sign the wires are bad. How do I replace a "broken plastic bracket supports that hold the water and ice dispenser switchs in place"?

Thanks for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

edd

Well, I'm no "Certified Technician" nor am I an appliance technician of any kind, but I do fix everything that I own and I mean everything. So am I an expert? No! But I will give you a straight answer from my experiences, not a factory tech answer telling you to buy a new door...:mad:

I had the same problem with my dispenser as most of you commented on.

Yes, it is a wiring issue but in my case it was repairable without replacing the door. The wiring harness comes out next to the bottom hinge of the freezer door. The wires are protected by a plastic woven sheath and are held tight to the frame and hinge with tie wraps and clamps. This fridge we all bought was built to be placed at cabinet depth so the hinges they put on them pivot from the outside of the door instead of close to the fridge frame. This causes the door to swing away from the frame more than a normal fridge and it pulls on the wires. Now because they are fastened tight to the door and tight to the frame they tend to break in between. Mine gave me about 3 inches to work with on the outside of the door.

So, what you do is unplug the fridge, disconnect the wiring harness at the connector near the freezer hinge, remove the ties and clamps and cut the old webbed sheathing off with scissors. Be carefull not to cut any wires. Check to see if the wires are broken; if not then shake your head and cus at me, if so then repair the wires. Now when I repaired my wires, I removed the wires from the connector end, repaired the wires (I soldered and heat shrinked them), then I put a more ridgid plastic sheath(3/8" poly tubing to be exact) around the wires and re-attached the connector. Then I snugged the plastic sheath up with the tie wraps and clamps. Now when the door opens the stress is on the plastic sheath and the wires just glide around in the tubing.

My dispenser died about 2 years after I bought the fridge. I fixed it 5 years ago and still have ice, crushed ice and water. :3: :3: :)

later, Edd

cpeters

Three times for me

I'm currently working on my wiring harness for the third time.
Had the unit since 2001.
Each time the wire is getting a little shorter.
Eventually the back panel on the door will have to come off.
I can't see any easy way to get the magnetic seal off or any
screws that keep the plastic inside attached to the outside of the
door. Has anyone done this? Thanks.

Cheeseliz

Premium Member
Thank you Edd!

:)Thank you Edd! I had the same problem with my Kitchenaid side by side (model # KSBP25FKSS00): the ice and water dispenser stopped working. I called a repairman out and he tested the wires, stating that there was a wiring short somewhere inside the door and that I wold have to order an whole new freezer side door at a cost of around $800 plus install costs. :confused:

Not liking that answer, I searched this forum, and found Edd's solution about unclipping the wiring harness at the freezer door at the bottom, and removing the plastic sleeve it was in. Sure enough ... two wires were completely severed in two (the blue and green grounding wires)! After a little bit of patching , my husband got them working again! No problem. This time however, we did not put the wires back into place with the factory clips, as we thought that was not giving the wires enough room to freely move when the door opened - thus causing the pinching of the wires. We just used a few pieces of plastic strapping to adhere the wires together and up and out of the way. We put the black bottom cover and we are back in business. So far .. So good!

Notwithstanding the cost of the joker repairman, it didn't cost us a thing to repair the door! Thank you Edd! I just wished I had found this thread BEFORE I called out the repairman!