• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kitchenaid Superba KSRA25I - Contents at bottom of fridge frozen and water line frozen

MyFridgeIsKaput

Premium Member
So, I have had this issue for a year or so. Last repairperson put a rolled up paper towel into the little vent in the sidewall.

My wife wants a new fridge.

I want to fix this the right way.

Can anyone help?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

There should be 3 more letters and 2 more numbers after the "I" at the end of your model#. Your model# tag is located inside your refrigerator section on the upper right side wall.

One thing to check first is inside your refrigerator section on the middle left side wall you will see a louver#4 here:
(click to enlarge)
K0510004-00002.jpg
Take that louver off, it just unsnaps and see if in that air tunnel is clogged with ice.

Jake

MyFridgeIsKaput

Premium Member
Model: KSRA25ILSS01

No, louvre #4 is not blocked with any ice (at least not where I could see).

BTW, water is flowing nicely now. (I used a blow dryer to thaw that ice.) And, I stuck the paper towels back in...for now.

I am jumping way ahead here but is it possible that there is a sensor that reads the temp at the bottom of the fridge and then sends way too much when it should not?

BTW, thanks for the help, Jake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

I am jumping way ahead here but is it possible that there is a sensor that reads the temp at the bottom of the fridge and then sends way too much when it should not?
No, there's not.

Lets get a temp. reading on both the freezer and refrigerator sections with a refrigerator/freezer thermometer.

This is the one I use in mine, you can order it as well:
Thermometer
show

Jake

MyFridgeIsKaput

Premium Member
Temperature readings....

Ambient temp...64

Refrigerator temp...8 (farenheit...yes, you read that right)

Freezer temp...-20 (farenheit)

Refrigerator computer settings are 36 / 5 degrees, refrigerator and freezer, respectively.

Between readings from each side, I brought the thermometer back up to ambient temperature. Both readings were taken at the bottom of each compartment.

I will take new readings from the rear of each side, on the top shelves.

Last edited:

MyFridgeIsKaput

Premium Member
More readings...

38 degrees at top of refrigerator
5 degrees at top of freezer

Whew.

So, what do you recommend we check next?

BTW, the sliding door for meats/vegies is open or pushed all the way to the back, leaving the full flow of air to go into the bottom drawer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
hmm, thats very odd, I'm not sure whats going on, I've never seen that kind of a temperature spread between the top and bottom of your refrigerator and freezer sections before.

Maybe another tech. or member thats seen this happen before can help shed some light on this issue.

Jake

TechnicianBrian

Appliance Tech
The problem you are describing sounds like an airflow problem as Jake suggested toward the beginning of the thread. If the freezer door is closed, do you feel any air coming in from the vent at the top of the refrigerator? And if so, wait a couple minuets then check again but this time with the freezer door open. Did the airflow increase. Also, have you noticed any water freezing in the bottom of the freezer section? The extreme temperatures are an indication of poor or no airflow between the two sides resulting in the cooler dense air settling to the bottom. The vent Jake referred to is the air return to the freezer section and I would suspect it has some ice built up inside the passageway. Unfortunately, it isn't a straight shot from side to side so it is hard to get in and really tell without removing the grill and rear freezer cover and looking around. One other thing, if you remove the grill from the bottom, there should be a white piece of paper folded up and stuck in there. This is the tech sheet and it has a quick diagnostic list that can will allow for testing the temperature sensors, the fan, and the air diffuser which controls airflow between the two sections. See if you can run those tests and maybe we can get a better idea of what is going on.

MyFridgeIsKaput

Premium Member
Some testing results...

Brian - Thanks for the help.

The vent had very little air initially. When I opened up the freezer, and waited a minute, the airflow went up.

No frozen water on either side. However...tons of hairy ice-frost on the top shelf is evident.

BTW, I ran my fingers as far as I could in both the sliding vent at the very bottom and in the middle vent and neither were frozen or had ice. The lower vent did have decent air flow though.

That is all I have done so far.

TechnicianBrian

Appliance Tech
OK, the reduced airflow prior to opening the door again suggests a frozen air return. You mentioned you had good airflow from both vents on the bottom. Is this when the freezer door is open or closed? The air return should not have air coming out of it, rather air should be going into it. The other thing is the frost you said is building up on the top shelf. This indicates an air leak somewhere, most likely near where ever the frost you are finding. This frost is also, most likely in the air return passageways causing a problem. The suggestion I have for you (most people don't like this one) is to move the contents of the unit someplace else, and shut off the unit. Turn it off, and open the doors. Overnight is usually enough so any moisture that has found it's way into the air passages top and bottom can get out of there. Then turn it back on and see what it does. If it works, then the icing problem is verified and now it's a matter of finding out where the moisture came from initially. If it still doesn't work, then we are back to testing components from the tech sheet. I am still very much leaning toward the frozen air return. Temperature extremes that great are very difficult to achieve and a -20 degree temperature in the bottom of the freezer is 5 degrees below the operating temperature of your evaporator so the air does seem to be trapped. Something else to do to see if there is a change, is to use a hair dryer to blow warm air through the vents. This may show a temporary improvement if indeed we are dealing with a frozen return, but the moisture will find it's way back as the air diffuser up top and the bottom air return are the narrow points of the air movement. Try that and the tech sheet stuff and see if you get any improvement.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Brian for helping out.:)

Jake

cchaynes

Premium Member
Thread Bump

Hi Guys

I ma new to the forums, I actually found this thread a long time ago when i first starting having the exact same problem.

Since then i have found the problem getting worse...

the Fridge temp at the top is 15c and below freezing at the bottom....

so effectively my problem is identical to the thread starter that you were helping out. the only problem is that the thread is incomplete in terms of a resolution.

At the moment, i have emptied the fridge and freezer and i am defrosting it.

I have a suspicion as to what may be contributing to this problem (assuming that this defrosting fixes the issue) The fridge door has never ( in the 6 years that we have owned it) aligned well with the freezer door. As of late the door has seemed even less aligned. By his i mean the fridge door does not close as tightly and no matter what i do i cannot adjust it. As of late the fridge door has been opening all of the time and i think that his is what caused the problem.

So i guess my question is 2 fold...

1.) what was the resolution to this problem for the other member?

2.) is my door alignment the issue and how can i adjust them to stay shut.?

further to above.....

i found this post also...
http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/showthread.php?t=13908

i have virtually no air flow thought this part and, the vents always seem to be closed....but i too have a concern about replacing the part if in fact it is the computer component not allowing it to function! When i start the fridge, the servo does seem to trigger ( i can hear it) but nothing happens...)

thanks in advance for your assistance!
c

Last edited:

cchaynes

Premium Member
got things working again

I defrosted the unit and, cleaned it and replaced the diffuser with the updated model. seems fine now....

i happen to one that would tackle anything, but i wanted to point out to people that this is very easy to do, nor harm in trying it yourself, worst case scenario you call the appliance guy and he puts the part in that you already bought....

i still need to figure out how to adjust the doors...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job replacing the diffuser.

For the door alignment issue, you will need to take the doors off their hinges and put a shim(spacer) on the bottom hinge pin.

If you have a side by side, then just raise the front legs abit underneath. So the gravity closes the doors better.

Is yours a side by side or freezer-on-top refrigerator?

Jake

cchaynes

Premium Member
Good job replacing the diffuser.

For the door alignment issue, you will need to take the doors off their hinges and put a shim(spacer) on the bottom hinge pin.

If you have a side by side, then just raise the front legs abit underneath. So the gravity closes the doors better.

Is yours a side by side or freezer-on-top refrigerator?

Jake

Hi Jake

it is just a freezer on the left...and fridge on the right..

what part do i need

the metal shim on the body of the fridge is in place, do you mean the kit suggested in this post http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/showthread.php?t=15312 ?

i adjusted the hinge ont op yesterday as best i could, i felt it was improperlt alligned and i adjuted the screw they suggest not to in an effort o fix the issue, its better but not 100%

i have cranked the fron legs up all the way and the door was still opening...

please let me know which parts to order and i will replace them it looks super easy

thanks!

Craig

Last edited: