• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Superba Model KSCS25FKSS00. Freezer not cold enough while fridge is fine

jeromeab

Premium Member
Model Number
KSCS25FKSS00
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi all,
My KitchenAid Superba side-by-side freezer/fridge has a problem where the fridge temperature is fine while the freeze is not cold enough, 10-20F instead of 0F.
I have checked all the usual:
  • all fans are turning
  • the compressor is hot but not super hot, and vibrating which I assume means that it's working
  • I cleaned the coil under the unit
The only issue I see is the uneven frost pattern on the evaporator coil. See attached picture.
I assume it's a compressor or refrigerant issue which is beyond my skill level to change.
What do you think?

Please note that the unit is fairly old (15-20 years?) and about 2 years ago I had to change the compressor already, but before that everything was working just fine.

Is it worth calling someone to fix it?

Thanks!

Attachments

• freezer_coils.jpg
    freezer_coils.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 45

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I assume it's a compressor or refrigerant issue which is beyond my skill level to change.

I agree.

jeromeab said:
Is it worth calling someone to fix it?

IF it is just lack of refrigerant and the leak can be isolated and fixed, it might be worthwhile repairing. It will still probably be $150+. If the leak can't be found, it is refrigerator shopping time.

If the compressor itself is the cause, it would likely be $450+ to repair and possibly not worthwhile.

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.