• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Superba Stand Alone Ice Maker KUIS18NNJB6 warm inside not making ice

itsoktofly

Premium Member
Model Number
KUIS18NNJB6
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello, my ice maker was making noise like the water pump was failing (again). I actually keep an extra pump as it happens about once every couple of years. It took me a couple of days to get the repair and then found no ice & the inside of the ice container very warm. In the recent past, the ice maker would skip between making lots and lots of ice to me finding a pile of very wet ice.

I changed the circulation pump, no noise now but no ice, water runs over plate well, but the inside of the freezer still ends up warm. I can hear what I think is the condenser fan running but does not sound like the compressor is running. Can anyone help me with troubleshooting, I'm not sure how to put things in test mode to determine what is working and what is not? Any suggestions on where to start? Thank you!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check for 120 VAC at the compressor. The first part of the clean cycle is the diagnostic cycle. If the LED flashes twice, there's a bin thermistor fault. if it flashes 5 times, there's an evaporator thermistor fault. Each component is cycled for five seconds: Water valve- Condensor fan- Hot gas solenoid- Recirculation pump- Compressor, in that order. Press power off to exit diagnostic mode or it goes into clean mode after the compressor check

itsoktofly

Premium Member
Thanks so much Rick! Can you please confirm that I get this older machine into diagnostic mode by pressing “on” and “clean” and holding simultaneously? My button choices are on, off, clean. Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I located the service and wiring sheet for this model, I'm attaching it below.

At the bottom of page 1 is the diagnostic mode.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

• wiringsheet-2313882.pdf
    417.6 KB · Views: 76

rickgburton

Staff member

itsoktofly

Premium Member
Jake, Rick, thanks a LOT for the diagram and suggestions. Sorry for the delayed response, I'm back to travelling for work and wow are things busy. I'm now back in town and trying to avoid buying a new ice maker.

OK, I pressed the "Clean" button from the "Off" position.

The way I read this drawing is that in the first 36 seconds each of those components are getting a "test" with the seconds indicated. For example, it looks like the Hot Gas Solenoid gets a test at 21 seconds in to the cycle?

I can hear both pumps running in what seems like their correct time in the cycle, and the "cleaning" light stays on steadily through the entire diagnostics cycle. My assumption is that if there was a fault I would see that read light blinking, is that correct? At about 35 seconds or so the ice feed pump just comes on and stays on.

Can you help with what that means? Apologies again about the lay persons approach to finding this problem!

rickgburton

Staff member
Turn the ice machine on and check if the compressor is running. If it’s not running, check for 120 VAC across the two wires going to the compressor.

If the voltage is 0V, replace the electronic control board:
WP2304016 Control Board

itsoktofly

Premium Member
Thanks, any suggestions on a video about how to get to the board? I'm guessing I need to pull the ice maker out of its location to get to the top correct? It has been somewhat "boxed in" and there is no way to get to it without demo work of some type which I would obviously like to minimize. Thanks.