• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kitchenaid superba water dispenser line

ncviatx

Premium Member
Model Number
KSRB25FKSS14
Brand
KitchenAid
The water line, in our fridge (model # KSRB25FKSS14), leading to the chilled water dispenser was sliced into two pieces. The "fix" (a 1/4" to 1/4" connector) has been holding together for several years; however, it is now leaking. I have considered just replacing the connector, but the line break protrudes less than an inch from the bottom of the freezer door making it difficult to get a proper seal.

My husband and I have differing opinions about the do-it-yourself feasibility of replacing the cooled water line. Is this an easy replacement, or do I have to give in and call a repairman, or, worse yet, plug the line and forget about automatic, chilled, filtered water?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, if you or your husband have fixed other things around your house, you should be able to do it.

Jake

ncviatx

Premium Member
I've made a brief attempt at following the water line to the dispenser, once before, but was a bit baffled as to how to access anything. It seems the design is made to deter the do-it-yourselfer. Should I look for a repair manual, or does the correct way to access the water line/dispenser connection not involve removing door, handle, and front panels.

thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

You shouldn't have to remove the door, where is the connector at that was put on? It should be below the freezer door hinge behind the bottom kickplate grill.

I thought you needed to change the water line to the door?

Jake

ncviatx

Premium Member
nope, the section needing replacement leads up into the freezer door. it originates at a 1/4" side of a 1/2' to 1/4" reducing union, leads up into the freezer door and, I'm guessing, terminates at the chilled water dispenser.

hope that makes sense.

ncviatx

Premium Member
Jake, just re-read your reply. yes I do need to replace the line leading to the door. From what I can see, there is a 1/2" line leading from what looks like a valve of some sort to a reducing union near the kickplate under the freezer door (that part is fine). The line leading from the reducing union up into the freezer door is where "our fix" was placed and has failed. so what I need to replace is the 1/4" tubing that goes up into the freezer door.

I may have cleared this up in my previous post, but my OCD required me to explain further. ;)

ncviatx

Premium Member
Jake, thanks so much for the info.

i, finally ordered, and received the part.
i removed the front cover housing, now my concern is how to feed the water tube through to the base of the door. i have considered attaching the new tube to the old tube and pulling old tube out from base of door while hoping the tubes don't come apart...

any advice?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I just use a little pocket screwdriver to fish the tube through your bottom door hinge while you have someone help you push it down.

Jake

ncviatx

Premium Member
Success!!!

I did use a flexible wire to fish the tube through the door. I wasn't willing to believe it would be as simple as it actually was. Turns out I didn't need the valve assembly either; so I just cut off that end of the tube.

Anyway, thank you again, Jake, for all your help and patience. Very happy to not have to buy anymore bottled water.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job ncviatx, glad its back to normal again.:)

Jake