• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Under Cabinet Ice Maker KUIX305EBL1 woes, diminishing ice production, now only running water.

Ryans Rebel

Premium Member
Model Number
KUIX305EBL1
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello everyone. New to the forum but not new to DIY repairs. I have a KitchenAid KUIX305EBL1 under cabinet ice maker. Several years old and never had a problem until now. I’ve read several threads but no one seems to have the exact symptoms.

Every since the last cleaning cycle, the ice making has been diminishing. At first the ice seemed just a little thinner than normal. Over a couple of months, production diminished to the point where there was hardly any ice in the bin. So, I turned it off for several days and then turned it back on again. Now, once turned on the inlet valve opens and stays open, meaning the pan fills with water and then continuously overflows for several minutes to the point where I just turn the machine off again. The recirculating pump never kicks on. I’m not exactly sure of how all the systems work together as I’ve never had any problems. But it seems to me whatever senses the water level in the pan is not working, so the inlet valve does not close and the recirc pump never kicks on. I see you can run a diagnostics on the Whirlpool version, but I haven’t seen a post or video showing diagnostic on the type of machine. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Ryan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Ryan,

Read what I mentioned here:

Its does sounds like possibly a water level sensor issue, the water level sensor on this model seems to be integrated in the pump assembly:

This video should give you the general idea of how to access it:

Check the electrical connectors on it and see if they are corroded causing this problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

Ryans Rebel

Premium Member
An update..... As usual life sometimes get in the way and I was not able to look further at the machine right away. I did not order the pump as I wanted to investigate further as the symptoms were inconsistent. Well, yesterday I took the cover off the machine and found the technicians bulletin with the diagnostics sequence. I ran the diagnostics and everything works up until step 8. Never did I see frost, nor did the light blink, indicating the temp never got to 4.5 degrees. This makes more sense to me as the reduced production of ice over time could likely be due to a freon leak?

I should mention that after the diagnostics I turned the machine on and everything worked as it should (including the water level sensor that was initially thought to be the problem) up to the ice making. Water recirculated for at least 10 min but the temp of the water in the reservoir was still lukewarm. So I turned it off.

Now, What is the problem exactly and how do I go about fixing it? I'll assume that the unit is low on freon? Or is there other issues that I might have that would cause this?

I have attached the diagnostic sheet.

Attachments

• IMG_20220704_085246760.jpg
    IMG_20220704_085246760.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 41

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Never did I see frost, nor did the light blink, indicating the temp never got to 4.5 degrees. This makes more sense to me as the reduced production of ice over time could likely be due to a freon leak?
Sealed system problem.

You'd need a refrigerant tech to come out and see if it is a refrigerant leak or compressor problem, or a restriction.

Jake

Ryans Rebel

Premium Member
Another update. My unit was still under the 5 year sealed system warranty (parts covered but not labor). So, I brought it in to where I purchased it (locally owned appliance store). They checked it out and said it needed a new evaporator. Trouble is they can't find one anywhere. They have a call into Whirlpool to see what they can find.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, thanks for the update, let us what happens.

Jake

Ryans Rebel

Premium Member
I'm happy to report they found the part and replaced it (under warranty = $0 cost). It stayed at the appliance store for over a week making ice. Apparently they monitor these machines for an extended period of time after repair. I picked it up today and should be re-installing it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.