• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Wall Oven KODC304ESS00 temperature inconsistency

lookstoomuch

Premium Member
Model Number
KODC304ESS00
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello all-

Posting about what I think is a kitchen-aid which has some inconsistent behavior but more or less cannot seem to maintain temperature adequately as I've been noticing food is taking significanlty longer to cook than would expect. To help facilitate I collected data using my "Flame Boss" BBQ temp sensor which plotted the temp on the below graph. I also pointed out some events which happend during the testing. Unfortunately, I left the flame boss on for a while so the time scale is really long which somewhat masks the temp changes vs. time but anyway, picture with comments around the data points:

Scenario: Oven temp set to 400 degrees, blue line on the graph is at 415 but absolute temp is less important than the rate of heating i.e. curve of the line.

Kitchen Aid KODC304ESS00.jpg

# 1. Notice how the slope of the line decreases (Normal?)
# 2. Oven indicates it is ready and at this point I opened the oven and put a cold pizza stone in. I did leave the oven open a bit longer than might be usual (~15-20 seconds). The temp begins to rise at a similar pace as after point 1
# 3. I hit "cancel" and re-set the oven temp to 400 degrees. Oven re-enters pre-heat mode, reheating picks up pace. Oven temp and flame boss temp read similar relative temperatures (Suggesting Oven probe is good)
# 4. I open and close the oven, pizza stone still in, seems to recover fine
# 5. I remove the pizza stone and put in a cold cast iron pan.

I'm not sure if this behavior is by design or I have a faulty component but sure doesn't make sense where after #2, the oven only gained 20 degrees over the course of 5 minutes. If cooking something that should take 12-15 minutes (i.e. frozen pizza) it would never get back to set temp as had I not reset the temp, it would have taken quite some time to get to temp.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Look on the tech sheet for entering diagnostic mode. Check for any error codes. I believe in diagnostic mode you can reset the control. Your tech sheet is located behind the control panel. Slide the oven out of its installation about 6" to remove the top panel.

lookstoomuch

Premium Member
I removed the control panel but did not find a tech sheet back there. I did google a bit and by hitting "Cancel, Cancel, Start" the oven would go into "Test On" mode.

I noticed by pressing certain buttons I could get the oven to "test" certain things which I'm not sure what was happening, eventually i tripped it up I think by pressing too many buttons at which point it threw an "F0E0" error but I think that is a red herring for this particular test.

rickgburton

Staff member
Here's your tech sheet:

Attachments

• KODC304ESS00-tech-sheet-W10776931-RevA.pdf
    229.4 KB · Views: 52

lookstoomuch

Premium Member
Thanks for that RickG. I ran the unit through a self test and at the end it came back with "No fault codes found". I've been trying to read through the manual to see what is the component which could cause this behavior and in the mean time collected another sample from cooking a meal last night which better shows the issue.

Screenshot_20210719-185016_Flame Boss Kitchen Aid 3.jpg

# 1. Set temp to 405 convection mode
# 2. Oven indicated it was ready, put in baking sheet w/Carrots
#3. Hit "Cancel", reset temp. to 405 again. At this point oven indicated it was at 330 degrees and back into "Pre-heat" mode
#4. Let the oven sit for a bit to see if temp would rise.

So in between #2 and #3 is 12 minutes where basically the temp didn't move at all even though, I believe the oven thinks it's at about 330.

Asking the experts, does this seem normal or am I chasing a ghost here?

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, Here's the deal my friend; There's a lot of temperature recorders but unless you work with one on a regular basis, they don't give you a lot of usable information. In fact they can be confusing. I understand what you're doing with steps 1-4, but you're just making your own service test.

So let's recap. You are having a problem with inconsistent temperatures, correct? The control uses the information from the oven sensor to know when to turn the elements on and off. Since there are no error codes, the sensor is probably good. However, you can check it with an ohmmeter. At room temperature the sensor should measure about 1100 Ω. If you want to check it at different temperatures, I'll post the values. If the oven sensor checks good, and through the process of elimination, the control is the only thing left.

When I check oven temps I use my Fluke meter temperature function because it has a fast response time. I write down the first temperature rise when the oven cycles off. (I also write down the temperature the oven cycles back on). I do that for 5 cycles then add the five off temps and divide by 5. That gives you an average temperature for that setting. I use 350°.

C-Oven Sensor Ohms.jpg

lookstoomuch

Premium Member
Thank you Rick. The temp test seemed to back my initial theory that the oven temps weren't recovering after hitting the initial pre-heat temp. I'll ohm out the sensor and report what it comes back with.

I might then toss a control board at it as I experienced the same issue when making pizza on the lower oven. Pizza took forever to cook and while I've not yet done the same test on it, it's the same symptoms which sent me down this rabbit hole with upper oven.

When you say control, is it the one on the front panel, or the item with all the relays on it?

lookstoomuch

Premium Member
Reviving this thread as now that the weather is cooling had some more time to mess with it. Bought a brand new board and the oven behaves the exact same way. Did another test where I let it heat up, open the door, put a cast iron pan with a bit of water in it, and the temp steadily declines.

Another observation is 40-50 degrees before target temp during preheat, it turns off the broiler element. Lower oven behaves in a similar manner. So even if I want to move my food closer to the broiler to get a bit more direct heat, I can't.

Starting to wonder if this is how this thing is designed to work......at this point, I'd really like my 30 year old ugly oven where the elements controlled by nothing but mechanical switches and knobs.

Anyway, any further thoughts?

rickgburton

Staff member

lookstoomuch

Premium Member
Given my lack of progress on understanding / fixing this Kitchen-Aid, I went to the used market and found a Dacor HWO227 for $500, practically brand new. I performed the exact same test (375 w/Cast Iron pan) on this oven and below is the result vs. the Kitchen-Aid:

Dacor:
Screenshot_20211101-212355_Flame Boss.jpg

Kitchen Aid:

Screenshot_20211027-181806_Flame Boss.jpg

lookstoomuch

Premium Member
I'll probably still pursue fixing this Kitchen Aid now that it's out of it's cubby can do some better testing to see what's happening as the oven heats. Given that I got this Dacor used would like the have the Kitchen Aid as a back up as it seems the Dacor brand can be unreliable and parts are expensive.....it is nice though.