• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

KMHC319ESS KitchenAid Microwave - Door Open Error

squeaky369

Premium Member
Model Number
KMHC319ESS
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello Everyone!

I have a KMHC319ESS that is showing the door open all the time.

I read around online, found that it could be the line fuses and/or switches. I bought and replaced them all and I still have the error.

This is the troubleshooting I've done so far:

I found the service manual when I took the microwave apart to get to the rear line fuse. The first page talked about the door switches. I have three switches, Primary / Secondary / Monitor. The Primary and Monitor are on the top, and the Secondary is on the bottom. I replaced all three with their official parts from KitchenAid. Took pictures of everything and matched it all back up when I put it back together, not that there was any other way the switches and what not could go.

IMG_0086.JPG

However, a strange thing, when the door is open, the fan runs now - it did not before... Which will make sense in a moment.

I tested continuity on the switches by going off the service manual. The primary and monitor worked fine, however, the secondary is reserved. When the door is open, I receive continuity and when it's closed, I don't. The service manual states that it should be opposite. Which is also why the fan turns on when the door is open, because it seems like the fan is running off the secondary.

I looked at the old switches that I took out, and they are the same. They function the same (open / closed) in the same way, I put all the plastic bits back in the right spots. The only thing I can think of is that something is wrong with the board, which is why it started to do it to begin with.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
When checking a microswitch for continuity always remove at least one wire. Check the microswitch by opening and closing the door. The microswitch is actually two switches if there are three wire terminals, a Normally Open switch and a Normally Closed switch. If there are only two wire terminals it's either a NO or a NC switch.

R-Microswitches.jpg

squeaky369

Premium Member
Thank you for that information.

That's what I did, I removed one of the wires per the service manual, and tested with my multimeter and the secondary interlock switch is reversed. When the door is in the 'open' position, the circuit is closed, and when the door is in the 'closed' position, the circuit is open. It's backwards from what the manual is stating that it should be.

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I think that model number is missing some more letters or numbers because I come up with 5 different tech sheet. Double check that. I could post the exact tech sheet so Rick may help you out better.

squeaky369

Premium Member
IMG_0087.JPG

It does have a '-1' at the end of it, however, whenever I search that, I only get results without the '-1'.

And I was using the service manual that was taped inside the case when I took it apart. Don't tell me I bought some mismatched microwave... ;)

rickgburton

Staff member
Thanks bb!! It sounds like the wrong switch. The secondary interlock switch is a Normally Open switch so there should be a wire on C and NO
Microswitches.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
View attachment 45733

It does have a '-1' at the end of it, however, whenever I search that, I only get results without the '-1'.

And I was using the service manual that was taped inside the case when I took it apart. Don't tell me I bought some mismatched microwave... ;)
The parts diagram is coming up fine for me with the "1" at the end:

Thanks Rick for helping squeaky369.:)

Jake

squeaky369

Premium Member
Son of a diddly... That's what I get for trusting customer support at KitchenAid.

Let me confirm all these then; from what I can tell, I should have:

Primary: NC
Monitor: NC/NO (Three Wires)
Secondary: NO

Thanks.

rickgburton

Staff member
2nd pic- The Monitor switch white wire on C is connected to a black wire that goes to the Primary interlock

rickgburton

Staff member