• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KMHC319ESS3 KitchenAid Microwave Door Switch Issue

TRM61

Premium Member
Model Number
KMHC319ESS3
Brand
KitchenAid
You
Hi, I have a KitchenAid Microwave with what I think is a door switch problem. The model # is KMHC319ESS3. The problem is intermittent, but when it's acting up, the light doesn't come on when the door is open, and when you try to start it, it gives the message "OPEN/CLOSE DOOR". Hoping to figure out which switch and get directions on how to remove the control panel (just want to make sure I don't break tabs or anything).. I have a meeting starting and will be away for an hour but wanted to start the conversation. Thank you

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I can't be of any specific help with that model but there have been at least one other forum message on the same basic model and problem. See if the information there helps.

Dan O.

TRM61

Premium Member
Thanks Dan, I did review that thread. The issue and the answer seemed particularly sensitive to the last digit of the model number. The thread you included was for a -2 and I think there was also a thread for a -1, mine is a -3. Also, I was confused by the thread you included in that they were discussing the wiring on three switches and the recommended update kit seemed to have two switches in it. I'd be willing to gamble and order that kit, just worried if it's an update that I may not be able to match up the new and old switches.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The basics of switch testing would be the same regardless of the -1, 2 or 3 versions. There are 2 interlock door switches and 1 monitor switch for the door mechanism. I assume the problem discussed in the service pointer applies to the 2 interlock switches and not the monitor switch.

I don't know if the service kit is absolutely needed for your model as its use depends on the unit's serial number (TR609... to TR811...). However, it looks like the service kit contains the switch holders as well so they might also need scrutiny for a door switch problem on other serial ranges too.

Door Switch Kit # W11244490

Door-Switch-W11244490-05720862.jpg
Door Switch Kit # W11244490

Even if the kit isn't absolutely necessary for your model, it might contain the necessary components to fix your as well. It really needs to be looked into and/or tested to determine the cause in your case.

Dan O.