• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KMHS120ESS7 KitchenAid over range microwave Bulb glued in?

jcz

Premium Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2018
Messages
27
Location
New York
Model Number
KMHS120ESS7
Brand
KitchenAid
Age
1-5 years
Hello. I have a roughly 3 year old KitchenAid over range microwave. The range light won’t turn on. I removed the cover, inspected the bulb. When touching the bulb it turns on. Stays on for a day or so (turning on and off) then won’t turn back on. If I remove the cover and touch the bulb, it will come back on.

Seems like a loose connection or a dying bulb. But there is the enigma: the bulb seems to be “glued in” with a clear silicon type of glue. I cannot remove the bulb because of the glue.

Any thoughts? Your help is appreciated. Thanks.
 

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Joined
Oct 9, 2004
Messages
4,215
Location
Ontario, Canada
It does sound like a loose connection. The bulb and socket are separate parts.

LINK > KMHS120ESS7 Bulb/Socket

Maybe the socket got melted to the bulb from the heat generated by a loose connection? You'll probably have to get a closer look.

Dan O.
 
Top